Connecting an access point
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

I need help and am not getting it from Verizon support. I called Verizon tech support and after 1.5 hours on hold, I gave up. I tried chat and asked my question and the chat person tried to sell me a Verizon extender instead of help me with instructions.

I have the latest Verizon Fios quantum router modem. It works fine but I would like to extend its range. I happen to own another router which I would like to use as an access point connected to the Verizon modem with an ethernet cable. I need instructions as to how to set the second router as an access point that will not conflict with the Fios router. The chat person told me if I use the second router as an access point I will need to turn wifi off on the Verizon modem - which would defeat my purpose of extending, not replacing the Verizon modem.

Could someone advise me what I need to do as far as settings on the access point? I know how to set it into "access point mode", but what about other settings (ip, ssid, channel, etc.) so as not to cause conflicts. I've searched the internet for help and got conflicting advice. Can someone help someone who is a network newbie?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting an access point
jonjones1
Legend

@Anderson wrote:

Morre info.

I alrready set the second router as an access point and I know how to access the settings. 

You need to look in the Fios manual and simply change the SSID that transmits.

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

page 41 is the section you want to change the channel and SSID name.

Once changed you can change the channel but it may be best to let it use automatic at first to see if there is interference. 

You still have not said what make the other router is. But it may be simpler since you know how to access it to change the broadcast SSID and channel from that one instead of the Verizon router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

First not enough information as to what personal router you own and want to place in access point mode. You can however do a basic access point via taking an Ethernet cable from the available lan port on the Verizon router to the WAN port on the personal owned router. In order to find out how to set your own router as access point you must look in your owners manual for that brand of router.

after the owner owned router is in access point mode, you then go into the Verizon router and turn off the WiFi on it. The premise is the owner owned routers WiFi is superior to the Verizon router. The tech at Verizon gave you correct info.

if you need to boost WiFi signal after you try out the range from your own router (Belken, Netgear, Cisco, Etc.) you can always get an extender branded to your personal owned router. But as long as you buy or have a dual band, tri band, MIMO Router with beam forming you should be ok.

0 Likes
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

But I know you can use a cabled router as an access point to broadcast the signal from the fios modem without needing to turn off one or the other router's wifi. Others have done it. That is the purpose of an access point. It is a matter of using a different ssid and channel. I have already cabled the second router to the fios router but need help with settings that will not cause conflicts.

0 Likes
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Morre info.

I alrready set the second router as an access point and I know how to access the settings. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Anderson wrote:

Morre info.

You need to look in the Fios manual and simply change the SSID that transmits.

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

page 41 is the section you want to change the channel and SSID name.

Once changed you can change the channel but it may be best to let it use automatic at first to see if there is interference. 

You still have not said what make the other router is. But it may be simpler since you know how to access it to change the broadcast SSID and channel from that one instead of the Verizon router.

0 Likes
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

It's an Asus Dual Band Gigabit Router AC-1300, RT-ACRH13

0 Likes
RMN3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't turn off your verizon wifi if you need the extra coverage.

Here's how I would go about doing this. First power up the new router and connect one of the 4 LAN ports to a computer. Don't bother connecting the wan port to the verizon router yet.

You can now use your computer to get into your router's web interface using a web browser. The specific instrucions to do that are in your user manual. I think its http://router.asus.com

Then follow the info in the following link to enable access point mode (This will turn off DHCP and all that). 

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1005259/

While you're in there configure your new wifi SSID and password. 

Now you can connect the access point to your verizon router with an ethernet cable using either the LAN or the WAN plug (different routers do it differentnly, ususally LAN).

Another thing you should do is make sure your new router gets a static IP address on your network so you can always find it. But that's another topic.

0 Likes