Connecting my own Router with Verizon FIOS
Tian1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I am new to the Verizon FIOS and trying to use my own Router. The pin thread "Using your own router with VERIZON FIOS" is very helpful, but my situation is a little different: I don't have the Verizon Router to start with.

I am renting an apartment, and when I moved into, the Verizon ONT was already set up (possibly by former renter). There are Coax and Ethernet cables out from the ONT. When I connect the Ethernet cable directly to my Laptop, it works perfectly. However, when I connect the cable to my own router and wirelessly connect my laptop to the router, there is no Internet. My router is NETGEAR WNDR4300 (a very old version,  but planning to change it if I can use my own router).

I am not sure what happens here. Any help would be very appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting my own Router with Verizon FIOS
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before disconnecting the laptop from the ONT, be sure to do a "DHCP Release" on the IP. Otherwise you'll have to wait a few hours before connecting your router to the ONT.

On Windows, the command to DHCP release is "ipconfig /release" in either PowerShell or Command Prompt.

Assuming the above has been done, the Netgear router should just be able to get an IP via DHCP at that point.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before disconnecting the laptop from the ONT, be sure to do a "DHCP Release" on the IP. Otherwise you'll have to wait a few hours before connecting your router to the ONT.

On Windows, the command to DHCP release is "ipconfig /release" in either PowerShell or Command Prompt.

Assuming the above has been done, the Netgear router should just be able to get an IP via DHCP at that point.

Tian1
Enthusiast - Level 1

It works perfectly. That is awesome. Thank you! I have wasted 5+ hours trying to talk to representatives. Really appreaciate it.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to help!

PennyPincher1
Enthusiast - Level 1

That was easy, and it worked like a charm.  Thanks!

Jonesclan12

I'm having same issue. No coax cable connected prior though. I did a dchp release from my laptop. I have a Netgear N600 modem/router I'm trying to use in place of Verizon's router. The Ethernet is plugged directly into the ONT and that is plugged into the router. It's saying I'm connected with no internet. I'm utterly lost trying to solve this!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you can get to your Netgear router's web interface, see if it has an IP address. If the Netgear isn't getting an IP when set to DHCP or "Auto Config" mode, make sure you've performed a DHCP Release from the device that was previously connected to the Internet and supplying Internet to you.

If that fails, you have two other options you can try. The first is to leave your router connected but unplugged from power for at least two hours. This gives your IP Lease time to expire. Or, you can call Verizon and let them know that you're swapping the router, and you would like then to break the DHCP lease.