Connection speed is unacceptable
pidelia
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lately the connection got crazy slow. I haven't changed anything, my PC configuration is the usual. I'm not changing the type of data I try to download, i.e.: my browser, one tab open, no other Internet apps running (ftp, email, peer2peer, nothing!)

If I want to read text, it's barely ok: I can disable to load the images and then I can almost navigate, unless I want to change website, in that case (and doesn't matter what website I'm trying to reach)  jumping from one url to the new one takes longer than expected. But if I try to watch a video on Vimeo or Youtube, then I can prepare a coffee and, after that, I can prepare my dinner.

Seriously, this is unacceptable. I'm sure is not a technical problem on my side, I know what I'm talking about.

I just guess at this point Verizon quality for High (high??)  speed internet conncetion just dropped off. Today one last attempt I did was really close to Dial-up experience I was used to do 14 years ago. I'm just asking to get the service I pay for. Sure, it's basic, nothing crazy, no FIOS (not available in my area). But one year ago was acceptable for my needs.So, I'm not blaming about something that I'm not paying for, since it worked for 8 months, but is not anymore.

0 Likes
Re: Connection speed is unacceptable
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anything in your area seem to be correlating with the poor performance of the DSL service, such as storms, construction, or just a lack of maintenance trucks everywhere? Anything change in your home since the DSL was last working at an acceptible speed? How about posting up some speed tests for us?

0 Likes
pidelia
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only change we got in the area happened a month or two ago when Verizon took FIOS to a hospital close to here.

This is a test (and now is performing really, really well) I just did with Dslreports SpeedTest. For the test I chosen Los Angeles as server, and I live in Los Angeles

Regular browsing activity (text/images):

Speed Test #101449463 by dslreports.comRun: 2012-04-03 01:36:34 EST

Download: 420 (Kbps)
Upload: 375 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 51.2 down 45.7 up
Boost: 420
Latency: 83 ms
Tested by server: 3 flash
User: anonymous
User's DNS: verizon.net
Compared to the average of 288 tests from verizon.net:
* download is 97% worse, upload is 96% worse

Viewing a video on YouTube, quality 360p:
Download: 57 (Kbps)
Upload: 20 (Kbps)
Latency: 1251 ms

By the way, I'm testing with Chrome, Firefox and Opera. Besides the differences in terms of js speed and page loading, the speed issue it's the same for all browsers.
We've two laptops here and if a Youtube clip is being loaded on one of them, on the other laptop is not even possible to navigate.

P.S. I've got logged out from the forum, even though I checked to keep me logged in for 2 weeks. It took me 3 minutes to log in again. At this point my connection is completely useless.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's just rediculous. One more piece of info is needed before I figure out what can be done. Since you're in California, my usual case of directing you to someone I know who can fix the problem may or may not work out so well, but it doesn't hurt either way.

Get your Transceiver Statistics for me. If you don't know how to get them, tell us which modem you have.

0 Likes
lgusti
Enthusiast - Level 1

Smith6612, can you please help me too?

I live in Long Beach, CA and had similar issue

I switched to a dryloop DSL (15Mpbs) about 2 months ago and it keep slowing down during primetime to 1.5Mpbs and speed back to normal again after 10PM PST.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Dry-Loop-DSL-slow-down-during-prime-ti...

Any suggestion what should i do next?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes