Constant disconnects
jastduit

My high speed works great when it works.  However it has always disconnected several times a day.  I try restarting the modem router and computer and it sometimes works but usually not.  I think it just works because time has gone by and it would have started again anyway because after awhile it starts again and is very fast again. But its only a matter of time before it stops again.  So now i have learned it doesn't matter what i do, it eventually will come back on, so i do nothing and wait and it will start again.   Where would the problem be?  Where do i start?  It seems this symptom should describe  a particular reason.

0 Likes
Re: Constant disconnects
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let's start by checking the modem's Transceiver Statistics. If you don't know how to obtain those statistics from your modem, can you tell us which modem you are currently using?

0 Likes
jastduit

i tried to get transceiver statistics from 192.168.1.1 but it wouldnt except the passwords i used of admin and password.  I have a Westell model 690-610015-20     Rev  H 07/2010    ADSC2 + MODEM     An online speed test says i am getting 367 kbps download / 155 kbps upload and 30% quality but this also constantly changes and sometimes up to 798/384 94%

0 Likes
extermregen

How old is the router? Because mine does that too but it's also 8 years old and I'm waiting for a new one in the mail.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all with a Westell 6100, that have are having this issue:

Log into the Westell at http://192.168.1.1/ from any PC and then do the following, based on what you see.

1: If you see a Red and Black Verizon page with a bunch of information on it, click on the System Monitoring at the top navigation and then choose Advanced Monitors on the Left hand side Navigation. Press Yes past the prompt if any appears, and then choose Trasceiver Statistics.

2: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, select Troubleshooting, DSL, and then choose DSL/Transceiver Statistics.

Provide the Information you see there by copying and pasting it. It will contain information such as Attenuation, Margin, Power Level, and show the modem speed.

Should you be asked for a login, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Your Verizon Username and Password

The information I'm asking for here will let users who help on this board see how your line is running. If the physical loop is OK, they will have to check into other things. In the past, Verizon tech support agents used to ask for this information over the phone to verify how a line was operating, even though they could probably pull it up from the equipment on their end. Lately it seems that many of the agents no longer ask for this information for whatever reason (either they cannot see it, or are not trained to do so) but it's often a great place to start when slow speeds and disconnects are occurring.

#3 If you can't log-in to the router, please post and we will go from there to try to figure out what is going on....

0 Likes
jastduit

ok here is the info

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1

Vendor ID Code 4D54

Line Mode ADSL_2plus

Data Path INTERLEAVED  

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 928 445

Margin (dB) 9.0 23.5

Line Attenuation (dB) 49.5 26.1

Transmit Power (dBm) 15.6 12.2

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

Did you try connecting this modem to the NID?

If you don't know what I mean by that, I point you to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes
jastduit

I dont know what u mean by "did i try connecting this modem to the NID?"   I see the nid, this modem is connected to my line. 

What happens is the data light is still flashing but the internet light goes off and then after several minutes comes back on again

and i get service, only to go off again in a bit.  This happens all day long.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What he means is to open up your NID by the Customer Access Portion of it, and connect your modem to the test jack located inside of the NID and check the Transceiver Statistics again. Laptops and extension cords come in handy for this :). The FAQ he linked to above gives you some information on the NID.

0 Likes
jastduit

ok  i checked my NID and i have 2 small ones that both look somewhat like the one on the left in the picture from that website.  These are small, probably from the 1960's and there is no test plug for a phone jack.  Do i need to have verizon update them?

0 Likes