Continuously dropping dsl speed
cjs2012
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello.

I have a 7Mbit plan with verizon DSL and I find that over a period of time, maybe 2 days to a week, the DSL speed drops but never comes back up to speed until I turn the modem off then on again.  What's up with this.  Normal speed is about 6250kbps.  Just found it a 658kbps, which is **bleep** slow.  The modem is a Westell model 6100 and it seem I get the best speed from this modem among the 3 different modem models I have.

Any explanations or resolutions to this problem are appreciated. 

0 Likes
Re: Continuously dropping dsl speed
hitmehhh
Contributor - Level 1

My speed has slowed down also over the last 4 days.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Would you be able to supply the Transceiver Statistics from the modem? Ideally, some stats both during a time when the modem is running slowly and during a time when it's running quick would help. It sounds like it's losing sync and when you reboot the modem it re-trains back to full rate.

0 Likes
cjs2012
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I can do that when I get some time.  I need to reconfigure stuff so I can log into the modem.  It's setup as a bridge to my linksys wireless right now.  I do have another 6100 I can use to get those numbers.  I'll try that tonight or the next time the speed drops.

What I'm tempted to do is hook the modem power supply to a timer and have it turn off and on sometime during the day, every day.

thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds good.

0 Likes
cjs2012
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm on Live Chat with someone who keeps asking for information that I already gave him.

I've tried this before and never got anywhere.  I want him to start 3 tickets, one for a defective modem, one for a bad line and one for verizon possibly limiting the bandwidth on purpose.  He's working on it.

0 Likes
cjs2012
Enthusiast - Level 3

It appears I was correct.  Absolutely no help from online chat.  The 'tech' asked for some time to get information and then the connection was mysteriously lost. 

On top of that, speed has already dropped from 6400kbps to 1086kbps over a period of about 2 hours.

Coincidence?

0 Likes