Converting from Time Warner Cable
TWC_Convert
Enthusiast - Level 1

ftp - first VZ told me my NEW router was not working right and sent a new one to fix a multi-hour troubleshooting session I was having with ftp.

As it turns out - this was not the FIX. I was using a very old ftp client that was not using PASSIVE mode to connect to my ISP that is hosting my cloud services. Turning on Passive mode was my first clue to restore my FTP service. This got the connection established; however, I was not seeing directory listings as I was with TWC in the past. Called my ISP and they could not figure it out either. I downloaded a recent version of the IPSwitch FTP client and everything is working now. I also monkied around with opening FTP ports 20,21 (both port forwarding and port triggering) inbound and outbound on the VZ router - but I really don't think that is doing anything to help but I'm not changing it at this point in that I spent WAY TOO MUCH time jacking around with getting it to work.

Also - the documentation for the VZ router is ridiculous. The logic of the set up is completely insane. ***most of the undercover stuff you care about as an advanced user is contained at:

SYSTEM MONITORING (top right once you have logged into VZ router)

goto: Advanced Status
then:
Full Status/System wide Monitoring of Connections
Click on interface - Local for instance
then go to the very bottom of the page
and click on SETTINGS

Here you can change you LOCAL IP Subnet info and your MTU size.

***I found that changing you MTU size to Manuel 1500 on both your local and broadband connection REALLY HELPS you realize better internet speeds!!! Both on you local network and in the cloud. 

One final note - My email on TWC worked perfectly for years. However, when converting to VZ FIOS - I could get mail all day long but could no longer send.

Luckly - this was fairly easy to get working - I changed my outgoing SMTP to port 587 and turned ON "this server requires a secure connection (SSL)". I did NOT change anything on inbound POP3. Like I said - TWC worked fine for SMTP port 25 without SSL - but VZ didn't.

Re: Converting from Time Warner Cable
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Port 25 restriction is intended as Verizon blocked that to cut down on open spam relays in the network. Using Port 587 and encrypting all of your e-mail traffic is the better method to use anyhow.

0 Likes