Copy Router Data
TechMike
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have an Actiontec Rev E and just purchased a rev G.  Is there some way to copy the MAC address table from one router to the other?  I copy and paste the MAC addresses and that takes time since only one address can be entered at a time.

0 Likes
Re: Copy Router Data
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TechMike wrote:

I have an Actiontec Rev E and just purchased a rev G.  Is there some way to copy the MAC address table from one router to the other?  I copy and paste the MAC addresses and that takes time since only one address can be entered at a time.

Which MAC address table are you talking about? 

Why would you want to do this?

If you just want to replace the Rev E router with the Rev G one you just need to release the dhcp address on the old one and then replace it with the new one, alternatively disconnect the old one and wait 5 or 6 hours before connecting the new one.

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@TechMike wrote:

There is a way to export all of your router's information and re-import it into a different router. I'm not at home so I can't give you precise instructions, but it's somewhere on the settings page of the router config site.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

As addressed in http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/WEP-vs-WPA-or-WPA2/td-p/240997

Without going into the technical details which could be considered a TOS violation on the forums here ... The thing is the Mac address of the sending and receiving device are in each and every packet.   So, regardless of whether your are running an unencrypted network with Mac filtering or an encrypted network with Mac filtering to which you've hacked the key, all you need to do is sit back and wait for a few packets to transit the network ... as soon as they do, you have Mac addresses of clients which obviously are on the permitted client list any one of which you could then spoof to insert yourself into the network.
0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@UnnDunn wrote:

There is a way to export all of your router's information and re-import it into a different router. I'm not at home so I can't give you precise instructions, but it's somewhere on the settings page of the router config site.

The config file is now encrypted and can not be imported into another router.

0 Likes