Cost to change internet download speed?
Mamalou1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can anyone tell me how much it costs to up your internet download speed? Just seems like .5 -1Mbps isn't worth the money we put out there for it. It's 2011, kind of feel like 1 or 2Mbps plus should be standard and the lowest plan you can get. Anyhow considering changing my download speed if the price is right, does anyone know the price it would be to change?

Re: Cost to change internet download speed?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're currently paying $20 for a 1Mbps connection, expect the bill to go up another $10-20 a month based on which package you get, if you're subscribing to tiers under the old system Verizon still seems to use. 3Mbps services typically runs for $30, and 7.1Mbps service runs for $40. Any more would be the 10-15Mbps service which could be the same $40 or $50 a month.

If you fall under the new provisioning system Verizon has, $40 should get you anything from 1.1Mbps all the way to 15Mbps. It's basically a gamble. Even if your line is in great shape and can hold 15Mbps, expect your line to get no more than 3Mbps. Verizon still does not have all areas set up for 7.1Mbps or even 15Mbps service, and if you're on a remote, you can forget about anything higher than 3Mbps due to bandwidth restrictions on them.

I do agree with you though with the speeds in 2011. 1Mbps/384kbps is extremely dated. Up to 3Mbps/768kbps should be the offering for the basic package ($20 monthly), and from there, anything 4Mbps to 15Mbps download and 800kbps to 1Mbps upload should be the next package up for $40. Verizon's Intro tier to FiOS (un-advertised) then should be bumped to 5Mbps/5Mbps from 3Mbps/1Mbps since Symmetrical service has a distinct feel and appeal to it, and make that run for $32.

0 Likes