Creating the same name for both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz SSID
ScooterMax

I have both a 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz network with my FIOS Gateway with different SSID's and tons of smart devices that connect to them: lights, fans, locks, etc.  Some devices will only connect to the 2.4 Ghz network while other devices will connect to either 2.4 or 5 Ghz..  I heard that I can name both networks the same SSID and the device will automatically select the correct network range.  Has anyone else done this?  Would there be any problems?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Creating the same name for both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz SSID
jonjones1
Legend

Actually the renaming has no affect on connection.

some devices have the 2.4 GHz radio and some have the 5 GHz radio and many of the newer devices have a choice. 2.4 GHz being for furthering your distance, or the 5 GHz band for faster speeds but shorter distances.

it is always advisable to separate the SSID names like home_2.4 and home_5.0

this way let the devices chose the better connection.

verizons routers are terrible for WiFi. You would be better off using a newer router like a Netgear or Asus etc. remember it’s the devices that determine your ability to connect to one or the other or both.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When the FiOS Gateway first came out the SSIDs where the same. They did an update to change the 5 Ghz on to Fios-XXXXX-5G because some devices would get confused and wouldn't be able to route even though it showed connected. 

Now that is not just a Verizon thing but a wifi thing. All routers you buy these days have 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs with different names by default. 

If you want to test it out open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgateway.com and log in with admin password on sticker. Go to Wireless Settings up top and I think Basic Settings on left will get you there to change SSID. 

jonjones1
Legend

The posters situation lies not in the renaming of his SSID but the ability of his varied devices. The radios in the devices determine the connection. That is why I told him about the different SSID names.

0 Likes