DCHP Renewal to fix slower than advertised speeds?
drummerskey1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Currently, my set up is ONT>Google WiFI Wan......GW LAN>Gateway Router LAN. 

I have gigibit service but on average, after the switch of primary router; I am getting 625mbps down and 700mbps up. It has been set up this way for about a week and half and sometimes the speeds are slower but never faster than 625/700.......These are wired speeds.

Google's support suggested renewing my DCHP Lease as a solution but when I read other forum posts, it said people who needed to do that were getting no service. I did the release before switching to the new router. Everything is stable and I get good service, just not gigibit speed.

I just wanted to see if I was missing something, if there is an additional step for faster speeds, etc. 

I also didn't know if calling Verizon with this set up would cause any issues or if I would even get help by calling. 

0 Likes
Re: DCHP Renewal to fix slower than advertised speeds?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How are you testing speed?

Speed you are buying is only guaranteed access to Verizonnetwork.

To verify speed, dot he following:

Use a computer hooked via ethernet to router that connects directly to ONT.

Run a test to speedtest.verizon.net

If you are getting 900+, then you are getting subscibed speed.

If you are getting less, then contact support.

0 Likes
drummerskey1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Speeds are being tested through the Google WiFi router app, it tests speeds to the primary, which is connected by CAT6 from the ONT to the GW puck. The speed was verified with GW support. 

I also tested with a laptop connected to the LAN port of the GW through Speedtest.net and Fast.com with the same result.

The Fios speedtest fails when I try

Should I expect Fios Support to give me a hard time about my current set up?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You must have access to the Verizon router if you call for support. 

The better setup and what should be ok in support issues is this.

ONT-ethernet to Verizon Router(primary) WAN port-ethernet from LAN on Verizon Router to WAN Port on your own router.

make sure dhcp is active on Verizon router only. Then on your router set it to access point mode, this way the better WiFi and IP assignments go through that router.

go into the Verizon router and turn off 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz & guest WiFi to off.

you do not want overlapping WiFi.

0 Likes
drummerskey1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The GW pucks dont work as Access Points. I have the mesh set up. 

That is why I was asking if calling for a DCHP Renewal would work. If they won't do it unless the Gateway is the primary and I have to go through the process of changing it back, I will just have the same issue when after I call support and have to flip it back to make GW work correctly. 

I am not sure that is the right fix anyway, just what Google support suggested. I don't know why everything works but I am not getting above 625/700. 

I guess I will just live with the slower speeds. 

It isn't broken and I am not ever losing internet, I am just not getting gigibit speed to the GW primary.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Well at least you know that if you need support that Verizon router must be in the equation. 

Sorry i I could not think of other suggestions. 

0 Likes
drummerskey1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate the response. 

0 Likes