DHCP Problem
errpop72
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hello,
Router: Linksys E3000 (DD-WRT/Tomato)
Modem: Zoom X5 ADSL - Bridged Mode (3/768 Mbps)
I contacted Verizon Direct a few months ago but they couldn’t help me.
Problem:
Every single day (it’ll be 1 year in March) at exactly 2:30 PM I’m getting a new public IP which kills my connection for exactly 59 seconds (Zoom X5 logging). My router restart PPPoE daemon because it can get WAN address (it takes about 3 minutes). Eventually I get an IP but with 3 minutes connection interruption in the middle of the day. 
Is daily DHCP renewal too often for DSL? Shouldn’t it be on weekly basis? I checked all the settings and DHCP is off on modem. It happens with stock Linksys firmware, DD-WRT, and Tomato.
Thanks.
0 Likes
Re: DHCP Problem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 When I went to http://www.zoom.com/techsupport/adsl/adsl_bridge.shtml

I told me to

Please select your model version below

#2 Which one do you have?

0 Likes
errpop72
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, my modem is not listed there. My Zoom X5 is a modem/router: 5654A
Thank you.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

Please answer as many as you can:

#1 Do you know how to get into your Zoom while it is in bridge mode ?

#2 Do you have a computer with at least two NICs ?

#3 If so (OR Not): Do you have a computer with a wired NIC ?

#3 What is current LAN IP of the Linksys E3000 ?

#5 Did you change the LAN IP of the Zoom OR did you leave it alone at 10.0.0.2 ?

#6 Do you know how to Setup a Static IP on a computer ?

#7 What is your OS and Version ? For example, Windows XP Home SP3.

#8 Do you have a third RJ-45 WAN port router ?

#9 What firmware is on your Linksys E3000 ?

And please be Exact as you can. For example I am on Tomato 1.27

--

What ever you do not know how to do, I can try to teach you what to do.

0 Likes
errpop72
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you again for replying. Below are my answers:
#1 Do you know how to get into your Zoom while it is in bridge mode ?
Yes. There’s an option to set the Zoom modem to Manual DHCP (External DHCP makes it purely in Bridge Mode and it needs resetting in order to be able to get to it). I found on Tomato forum how to set up VLAN 

#2 Do you have a computer with at least two NICs ?
I have one with wired and wireless NICs (wireless is used)

#3 If so (OR Not): Do you have a computer with a wired NIC ?
 Yes. A separate PC with wire NIC
#4 What is current LAN IP of the Linksys E3000 ?
 192.168.113.1 (long time ago I was asked to use this IP in order to use VPN)
#5 Did you change the LAN IP of the Zoom OR did you leave it alone at 10.0.0.2 ?
It’s still 10.0.0.2 
#6 Do you know how to Setup a Static IP on a computer ?
 Yes. I’m assigning Static IP based on MAC addresses
#7 What is your OS and Version ? For example, Windows XP Home SP3.
2 PCs Windows 7 64-bit SP1, and Mac OS X 10.6.6 
#8 Do you have a third RJ-45 WAN port router ?
 Yes
#9 What firmware is on your Linksys E3000 ?
 Custom build for dual-band routers: tomato-E3000USB-1.28.9054MIPSR2-beta-Ext
It also happens on latest DD-WRT and Linksys firmwares.
Thank you.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

First I will tell you your options, then the directions of how to do the options, then the directions of what to do in the Zoom.

--

#1 A Static IP on a NIC connected to the Zoom with-in the same subnet of the Zoom.

#2 A WAN Static IP in the router with-in the same subnet of the Zoom.

#3 Third router setup as a Hub/Switch/Wap with a WAN Static IP in the router with-in the same subnet of the Zoom, and routing table edit on your computer.

--

About the first method.

Common sence tells me that you do not need to do the Recommended method that the FAQ owner of

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7267

wrote about, because your modem has four LAN ports. So these are your directions.

#1 Disconect the wired NIC of the computer from your Linksys that you will connect to the Zoom.

#2 I will provide an example for the Windows 7 computer of how to setup a Static IP on the computer (not based upon MAC Address). Using the Mac computer, the steps would be dffferent of how to get to the Static IP settings.

a) Go to the Start Button (or globe, depending on how that Windows 7 computer is configured).

b) Go to the Control Panel -> View Network Status and Tasks -> Change adapter settings.

c) You might have more than one Internet connection listed here. You will need to determine which adapter is your connection to the Internet if this is the case. Right click on your network adapter and choose properties to open up the properties window of this internet connection.

d) Click Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and then click the Properties button.

e) Record down all settings, if there any.

f) For the IP Address enter in 10.0.0.5

g) For the Subnet enter in 255.255.255.0 (unless that is, you changed the subnet of the Zoom).

h) All other settings, you may leave alone.

i) Click Ok, Ok,

#3 Connect that wired NIC of that computer to one of the LAN ports of the Zoom.

#4 If you use the wire NIC when connecting to your Linksys, to get back online after you get the info in the Zoom: Disconnect computer from Zoom, change computer back to DHCP, connect computer back to Linksys.

#5 On the other hand if you use the Wireless NIC when connecting to the Linksys, the wired NIC can remain connected the Zoom and setup for that Static IP.

---

To do the second option...

#1 In the Linksys running tomato firmware go to Basic -> Network

#2 Change the connection type to Static.

#3 Enter in these settings..

IP Address: 10.0.0.5

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (unless that is, you changed the subnet of the Zoom).

Default Gateway: 10.0.0.2

DNS #1 10.0.0.2

#4 All other settings leave alone, and press Save

#5 To get back online after you get the info from the Zoom: Remove the DNS setting and change the router back to PPPoE.

--

To do the third option, while I don't know what third RJ-45 WAN port router you have or the DHCP range of your Linksys E3000, I can provide an example.

#1 The example assumes that you have a Linksys router running Linksys firmware. If not using a Linksys running Linksys firmware, it would help to know at least the brand and model of that third router.

#2 This example assumes that the DHCP range is 192.168.113.100 - 192.168.113.149 (Starting IP = 192.168.113.100, number of users = 50) If this is not the DHCP range, it would help to know what it is.

#3 Do not have the third router connected to the any other router.

#4 In the third router go to Setup -> Basic Setup.

#5 Where it say Local IP Address change that to 192.168.113.2

#6 Press Save Changes

#7 Release and Renew the IP Address on your computer, as need be.

For example, if on the Windows 7 computer.

a) Go to the start menu and type command in the box. Then right-click on Command Prompt and click Run as administrator. If a User Account Control window pops up, click Continue.

b) Type in ipconfig /release and press enter.

c) Type in ipconfig /renew and press enter.

#8 Disable the DHCP Server

#9 Press Save Changes

#10 Change the connection type to Static.

#11 Enter in these settings..

IP Address: 10.0.0.5

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (unless that is, you changed the subnet of the Zoom).

Default Gateway: 10.0.0.2

DNS #1 10.0.0.2

#12 All other settings leave alone, and press Save Changes.

#13 Connect of the third router router's LAN ports to one of the Linksys running tomato firmware's LAN ports.

#14 Connect the third router router's WAN port to the one of the Zoom's LAN ports.

#15 On your computer, after you get to the command prompt (if on Windows), type in

ROUTE ADD  -p 10.0.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.113.2

Not using Windows I am not sure, but I am sure that there must be a away of adding a router.

#16 Tada. If you want a map of what you just did, see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14784333

----

#1 In the Zoom go to ADSL Status

#2 When online, post the info that you see / saw at that screen in the Zoom.

* By see, this applied the first method if the computer has at least two NICs, or the third method.

* By saw, this applies the computer only has one NIC, or the second method.

About the second method, points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7267 - the Alternate Method that the FAQ owner wrote about that starts with...

In PPPoE, access to the modem is not possible through the Linksys.

If a 10 Mbps hub and a second NIC or spare PC is unavailable, then the following configuration changes to the Linksys are required for accessing the modem through the Linksys. Unfortunately, this will cause a loss of Internet access.

^^

errpop72
Enthusiast - Level 1
I really appreciate all the efforts you put in writing this explanation. I’ll try it over this weekend, and probably let you know how it’s going next week.
Again, thank you.
0 Likes