DSL AVAILABILITY FRUSTRATION
CATSYLVANIA

My neighbors on my same right of way( the are at the beginning of it) less than 2500 ft from me who also have Verizon can get DSL. My neighbors right next to me( I can throw a stone at his roof) on the other side have a different land line service (Windstream), and they can get DSL. WHY CANT someone explain to me the reason for the past 9 years  I and 8 other homes on the right of way can not get DSL Service.

I have bugged them and my neighbors have bugged them and still I am living like I am in a third world country....excuse me third world countries have better connection than I do. WHY can someone tell me why?

WHEN I CALL VERIZON they can not give me a good answer. they say they will put my name on the list. IVE BEEN O THEIR LIST. I am startgin to think its a DO NOT CALL LIST!!! Any info would be helpful.

0 Likes
Re: DSL AVAILABILITY FRUSTRATION
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume by the same right of way you've also checked the trunk line for Telephone service as well, correct? You may need to have the Sales Rep put in a request into engineering to get that looked at. 9 years of not having DSL when neighbors nearby have it doesn't sound right at all. It suggests either a different trunk to me or a nice database screwup they never audited and corrected. It's possible that living on the border of Verizon and Windstream service areas is what is also at play.

If you can't get anywhere with Verizon after getting them to have Engineering figure out what's going on, you might need to have your immediate(?) neighbor who has the Windstream DSL service (or another who has Verizon) set up another DSL connection and run a Point to Point Wireless setup. There's a few homes in this area who do that simply because companies want a good sum of money to run a Coax or Telephone drop to a place that would qualify them for service and they don't want to play games with Cell Phone Internet. You could also consider having Windstream try to give you a connection directly if they are willing and able to do so.

Another thing at play could also be distance. Verizon tends to be cautious about distance, and 2,500 feet (assuming exact, not less than) can make a reasonable difference on what you can get with DSL. There are plenty of things that can happen to get the distance out farther, but if the individual with DSL from Verizon closest to you has attenuation numbers running into the 60's or 70's, it's most certainly a distance related issue if that person's phone line is running as cleanly as possible. But even then, at 70 to 80dB attenuation (aka rediculously bad line or really far out) I have seen 768kbps lines hold.

0 Likes