DSL Connection Has Been Dropping All Day, Customer Service Only Tried to Sell Me FIOS!
Nells250
Enthusiast - Level 3

Today has been one big headache.

My DSL connection has been dropping all day. I have checked everything I know how to check on my end, and nothing has changed since yesterday, when everything was fine.

I tried to call Verizon but had to leave a callback request. Hours later, my phone discussion with "Customer Service" was just the usual sales pitch to get me to upgrade to FIOS, which I cannot afford. All I wanted to know is if there was work being done locally that was effecting my service. If so, I'd just have to wait for it to be finished.

I still want an answer. I am posting this while my connection is up. If anyone can direct me to a better service phone number, or someplace on the Verizon site that actually connects to a human, I'd appreciate it.

JD

0 Likes
Re: DSL Connection Has Been Dropping All Day, Customer Service Only Tried to Sell Me FIOS!
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooters to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, Fios TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair. You can find these tools that may help you diagnose your issue on the Verizon Residential Support page:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
Re: DSL Connection Has Been Dropping All Day, Customer Service Only Tried to Sell Me FIOS!
Nells250
Enthusiast - Level 3

My connection started dropping again tonight, so I tried the troubleshooter.  It appears to only be set up for FIOS.  It asked me to do a Network Diagnostic that doesn't seem to work in my state!!

The only thing the troubleshooter did was prove I have very slow Internet... (1.89)

By the time I was finally done going through all  the prompts, once again I was told to call Verizon.  I will have to try tomorrow and hope someone actually tries to help me, instead of trying to sell me a product.........................................

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're in a FiOS area, expect a letter in the mail sometime soon (most likely) about a notice of copper retirement. When that letter comes, Verizon will move you to a FiOS package which gives you DSL speeds at DSL prices. But also expect that until then, getting copper problems fixed will be a nightmere. Verizon has a policy of "Fiber is the only Fix" in areas like yours. It's a shame there isn't a low cost FiOS plan available. But on that note, perhaps a Cable provider is around with something less expensive and more reliable.

To troubleshoot the DSL, is your DSL light going out / flashing whenever the drops occur, or is it just the "Internet" light on the modem/gateway? If you're able to, please share out the make and model of your modem so we can also see if it's possible to get logs from the device.