Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. OR get iPhone 13, on us for a limited time. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Buy now
end of navigation menu
DSL Internet Regional connection issue?
HMMMpa

I wonder how the physical connections are checked out here in the world...Specifically in Northern Bucks County, PA. there is a regular problem  with dsl connection: while ethernet to laptop is workable, wifi through an access point is often not good enough for wifi devices to connect. Any wet weather also seems to disrupt dsl, which can be detected by a lot of noise on the filtered phone lines. I'd suggest some kind of regional info collection, rather than the antiiquated "telephone" customer service.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Internet Regional connection issue?
smith6612
Super User
Super User

@HMMMpa wrote:

I wonder how the physical connections are checked out here in the world...Specifically in Northern Bucks County, PA. there is a regular problem  with dsl connection: while ethernet to laptop is workable, wifi through an access point is often not good enough for wifi devices to connect. Any wet weather also seems to disrupt dsl, which can be detected by a lot of noise on the filtered phone lines. I'd suggest some kind of regional info collection, rather than the antiiquated "telephone" customer service.

If you have static on your phone line when the DSL is out and it is raining out, please get the Voice Service repaired. The phone service is federally regulated and must be fixed. Do not mention the DSL when getting the phone service fixed. Once phone is fixed, your DSL service should work much better and much more reliably.

For the Wi-Fi, is the problem due to weak signal? Or is it due to slow speeds? Or are devices just unable to connect to the router at times?

0 Likes
HMMMpa

On the wiFi...using hotspot software on a laptop, and the tablet  often does not connect , message: "Avoided poor internet connection." That's when I check the land line for noise.

0 Likes
smith6612
Super User
Super User

Okay, so everything seems to be related to the noise problem then.

To fix this, let's start off by getting a voice repair ticket in with Verizon. We need to get that problem addressed before addressing others. That noise is indicative of a fault on the cable. Usually a bad splice, or a bridge tap (extra wiring which is unneeded) Verizon needs to repair or cut out. In some cases it means the cabling is getting wet at a point and Verizon has to find and re-seal the faulty section

The best time to give Verizon a call, is during the problem. Call from a cell phone, not a landline, and submit trouble. Their line tests will be able to check your line and see a problem.

0 Likes