DSL Outage in New York?
chichicha
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our DSL has been out for at least 30 hours.  We are located in Mid Hudson Valley region of New York State.  We were told by Verizon's representative that it's an area wide problem, but they couldn't identify what is the area.  No announcement found on Verizon website and not on the news that Verizon is having outage.  Yesterday morning we were told that the problem would be fixed within 6-8 hours.  Then we were told it would be 24 hours, and now they have no clue when the problem will it be fixed, as Verizon does not know where the problem the caused the outage.  Either there's a major issue with customer service, or there's major issue with Verizon's technology. 

Are there others with the same problem?  Would like to find out if there's indeed a major outage in our area, or it was just our service.

Re: DSL Outage in New York?
rustymic1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm located in the Bronx and I have been having problems since Saturday. Download speeds have been about okay but uploads are extremely slow to none http://www.dslreports.com/im/95380681/5810.png, I understand that there are outages in Brooklyn also. I spoke to a customer service person this morning and they don't seem to have any idea either. 

chichicha
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your feedback, and sort of glad that we are not the only ones here.  Obviously I understand things do breakdown sometimes, and given the high wind we had in the area in the past few days, it's not too surprising.  However, we are getting really frustrated with the quality of service.   A few weeks ago our Verison landline was out of service for 5 days.  It wasn't as a big deal as we have cell phones, but we both do work from home and not having a working reliable internet is very frustrating.  Esp if it's out for days at time.

rustymic1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also work from home and have begun to receive irate email from my clients because at 21kbps I'm unable to upload anything to my webpage. Today I called Verizon and got a recorded message that they're experiencing some technical problems, really!! My issues started since Saturday today is Tuesday, are they just now beginning to grasp the enormity of the problem?

I toatally agree with you that things break but when they do, a little information goes a long way. The same way they have a system in place to notify me seven ways from Sunday that I owe them, why can't they alert me whan there is an issue so I can be informed and thus inform my clients as to what is going on?

This will probaly not post for the next two days given the speed I have now.

0 Likes
atomicgirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I toatally agree with you that things break but when they do, a little information goes a long way.

You're not kidding! I had no idea there was an actual systemic problem, so for the past day and a half I've literally been power cycling my modem, uninstalling programs, and system restoring my PC thinking it was something on my end screwing things up! Geez Louise... would've been nice had Verizon said something!

0 Likes
anon538
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks to your posts, I can be fairly sure that the intermittent DSL outage I've experienced in Brooklyn this year originated from Verizon. The first couple of times were during the big snow storms in Dec/Jan. It was also out for a few hours during heavy winds this weekend. Each time, I worried that there was something wrong with my equipment which was going to be expensive and/or time-consuming to resolve.

So it's nice that Verizon provides these forums where we can let each other know what's going on.

Perhaps as a next step, Verizon might provide pages with their own updates about connection issues by geographic area. It's easier to be patient when fully informed. (Granted, most of us wouldn't be able to see the info until the immediate problem was resolved, but we could get a better idea of what happened afterward, what the likely cause was, and what to expect the next time.)