DSL Rollout in Cambria County PA
HTTP404

Hi,

I've been trying to get high speed internet at my address for the past 6 years.  I've been patiently waiting for the Chapter 30 rollout to be complete.  Unfortunately, this hasn't happened yet.  With the deadline of December 31, 2015 fast approaching, I'd like an update to know when service may be rolled out in my area.

Over the past 6 years I've periodically called and spoke to many different customer service representatives.  None of them have been able to provide any information regarding the Chapter 30 rollout or if it's even going to happen.  About a year ago they recommended I try 4G.  I had tried the wireless jetpack and it wouldn't connect to 3G or 4G.  An installation person from Verizon came out to test their higher power cantenna.  We tried it on my neighbors house which is up on a hill and while standing on the roof holding the cantenna in one hand it still wouldn't connect to either 3G or 4G.

The most recent customer service representative I spoke to recommended I use the contact us link on verizon.com to e-mail Verizon.  While on the phone I went through the menu options and informed her there was no e-mail address available.  She suggested I post on the forms and that someone here may be able to help.

So here's my problem.  I believe Verizon thinks 4G is available at my address and because of that they aren't rolling out DSL or any other form of high speed internet.  It isn't available.  Not even close.  Pennsylvania's Chapter 30 requires Verizon to deliver broadband to 100% of its Pennsylvania service territory by 12/31/15.  Can anyone tell me if they plan to roll out some form of high speed internet to my service address?  I'm reluctant to post my full address but it is in Cambria County Pennsylvania.  I'll happily PM my full address to any Verizon personel that require it.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Rollout in Cambria County PA
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

I got DSL at my house from the BFRR program last year.  Your best bet is to look up the Office of Consumer Advocate and express your concerns to them.

Have you filled out the BFRR form? https://www.verizon.com/foryourhome/Goflow/BFRR/Authentication.aspx

Some people have reported that they will either use 4G LTE to complete the requirement - yes, I know it is not adequate! - and/or partner with Hughes Net to offer satellite.  Also a terrible option.

Go to DSLReports.com to see many threads of PA people's stories getting DSL (mine included).  There's some ongoing discussions there.

0 Likes
HTTP404

Myself and my neighbors have all filled out the BFRR form.  In fact, I'm an aggregator for the area.  The problem is, to meet the minimum requirement we need more signatures.  We can't get more signatures because everyone else on the list is served by Comcast so they really have no desire to switch.  We're right inbetween two service areas.  About 1/2 mile up the road is Verizon DSL and about 1.5mi down the road is Comcast.  We're right inbetween.

I have been in touch with the DCED and I believe they're working with the OCA.

The way it was explained to me is that 4G is the only acceptable alternative.  While it isn't a proper replacement for high speed internet, it meets the requirements.  The problem is we can't even get 3G here.  When they tested our area with their cantenna it was in the late fall so there were no leaves on the trees.  In optimum conditions, we don't have connectivity.

I was hoping somebody from Verizon would chime in and be able to help.  This is how the customer service rep suggested I get in contact with someone at Verizon, by posting on the forums.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HTTP404 wrote:

Myself and my neighbors have all filled out the BFRR form.  In fact, I'm an aggregator for the area.  The problem is, to meet the minimum requirement we need more signatures.  We can't get more signatures because everyone else on the list is served by Comcast so they really have no desire to switch.  We're right inbetween two service areas.  About 1/2 mile up the road is Verizon DSL and about 1.5mi down the road is Comcast.  We're right inbetween.

I have been in touch with the DCED and I believe they're working with the OCA.

The way it was explained to me is that 4G is the only acceptable alternative.  While it isn't a proper replacement for high speed internet, it meets the requirements.  The problem is we can't even get 3G here.  When they tested our area with their cantenna it was in the late fall so there were no leaves on the trees.  In optimum conditions, we don't have connectivity.

I was hoping somebody from Verizon would chime in and be able to help.  This is how the customer service rep suggested I get in contact with someone at Verizon, by posting on the forums.

Even with the 3G/4G connectivity, the service would still be metered. It's just not worth the money today when you have to worry about if you'll be going over your cap.

The best way others have found to get ahold of Verizon in many situations is to use the Verizon Direct forum on DSLReports. Alternatively, you could write a certified letter to the headquarters with a copy of each signature for the BFRR form, and let them know the situation. It's possible that you'll get some traction that way.

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

If you're the aggregator, send an email to bfrr.aggregator@verizon.com and explain the situation and ask for updates.  I was the aggregator for my area and we did not get DSL until 2 years later and I emailed requesting an update about once a month until it was completed.

I hate that they want to use LTE as an option.  Out of 500+ BFRR areas, they've only used LTE to fulfill 2 of them to date (according to the latest PUC documents I found).

It really is a shame, and the bad thing is that no one seems to care unless it affects them -- and unfortuantely that is usually a dozen or so people scattered throughout the state in isolated areas of strange outside plant layouts that are just beyond most of the RT installations that was done during the height of the BFRR program several years ago.

Even still, I wonder what the state will make Verizon do if they miss their deadline...

0 Likes