DSL Slows to a Crawl Evenings & Weekends
Paulsey

I have and am paying for Verizon HS DSL with download advertised at 1.5 - 3 MB. Regularly on evenings and weekends, it slows down to between 0.1 to 0.6 MB and tonight went as low as 0.02 MB!

Whenever I call to report the problem, support asks me to repeat all the same old tests I've done before...what's your modem, what's your router, what's your OS, power off/on, check setup, ports, ya da ya da, etc. This ends up with, I'll have to report this to my supervisor and someone will call you later. They call in the AM and guess what...download speed is now just over 2 MB so no problem. Thank you Verizon support, but the problem will return sometime after 6:00 PM within a day or so. Well, call us when it returns and we'll look at it again...arghhhhh. Usually, the next time I sign on in the evening, the same old problem  exists.

You would think that when you've reported and they've tried to fix this two or three times, Verizon would be able to monitor your sessions and test their own local equipment at the appropriate times and get back to you with a status which could be (1) problem verified to be at our end and it's been fixed, (2) problem verified to be at your end and we need to relook at your stuff, or (3) problem verified at our end (maybe a shortage of local bandwidth or ???) and you'll have to live with it for a known or unknown amount of time.

I noticed that the Verizon web site has changed and now says that high-speed internet is not available at my location. I therefore suspect that Reason (3) is the situation for me. I'd be willing to wait at least a year for better service from Verizon but if I can't get a status from them, I plan to look for another provider.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Slows to a Crawl Evenings & Weekends
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

0 Likes
Mr_Z
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been noticing evening speeds are getting down to around 0.5 Mb, but oddly upload speeds are at or above the advertised 768.  I have the 3Mb plan and up until recently the service was completely fine.  I have a Westell modem, not sure of the model number but I'll post it if I look it up.  I completely rebooted the system, thinking it just needed a reset but that did not solve the issue.  I doubt it's a line trouble (or at least hope it isn't) because Verizon repaired the line this past year and after that everything ran very smoothly.

Westell C90-610015-06 Rev E

Linksys WRT54G

Modem is bridged.  Speeds were perfectly normal up until about a week or so ago. 

0 Likes
Mr_Z
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had to bite the bullet after I couldn't connect at all and call in.  A very helpful tech got me up and running.  It seems the modem itself needed a reboot and resync (not just a restart, a factory reset).  After that, so far, speeds have seemed decent but time will tell.  One of the things that I was told is this time of year you have loads of new pcs/routers/new subscribers/etc that companies like Verizon have to deal with.  It seems to make sense given my recent experience.

0 Likes
Mr_Z
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately this did not fix my issue.  I have been running a battery of tests on dslreports.com and you can distinctly see, about the hours of 8:00-11:00 or so (prime streaming time?) the tests all drop to around 0.5 Mb.  I was on last night and just tested around midnight and zoom, perfectly normal speeds.  This morning, perfectly normal.  I am going to start another thread in the hopes that someone here may be able to help? 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
It really sounds like a case of congestion on Verizon's end considering it's from 8PM to 11PM, which are probably as close to peak as you can find. Visit DSLReports and post in their Verizon Direct forum. They should be able to sort the problem out for you.
0 Likes