DSL Speed Drop...Any Hope?
Sturmovik
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since about 2008 I have been using the 7/MBit DSL service.  It's fairly cheap and I'm less than a mile from the CO so I have never had issues with getting the full speed.  Unfortunately last Friday i started getting DSL sync hiccups and today I get back from my Thanksgiving holiday to find that I'm still getting sync drops and my connection speed has dropped to 4.5Mbit.  I talk to a support rep and they say that I'm signed up for the 3.1 to 7.1 Mbit plan so anything in that band is considered acceptable service.  I know that even 7Mbit is considered slow today, but it got the job done and I really dislike Comcast.  However 4.5 is kinda below both what I need and what I have come to expect.  They are sending out a new modem/router to replace the old one and they assured me that would fix the problem, however I have a sneaking suspicion the problem exists in the copper wires between me and the CO and they aren't likly to fix that.

My question is 1) is this likely a temporary or permanant slow down and 2) if it is permanant is there anything I can say to them to get them to fix their wires and get me 7.1 or higher speeds?  I really don't want to use Comcast, but at 4.5 I am left with little choice.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Speed Drop...Any Hope?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You probably have a metallic trouble in the copper line. If you have a Network Interface Device I would test the line from there first before doing anything to determine if the problem is in your wiring or Verizon's network. If the problem is in your wiring Verizon will bill you to fix the trouble unless you subscribe to an inside wire maintenance plan. If the trouble is outside then Verizon has to fix it at their cost. Do you also have telephone service on the DSL line? Do you hear any noise on the line? Check your micro-filters on the telephones as they do go bad sometimes.

0 Likes
Sturmovik
Enthusiast - Level 1

I should have mentioned that I went out with an extension cord and the router to test the line from the interface and I got the connection at 4.5 MBit through several reboots.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Since you determined that the trouble is outside the only way they are going to come and fix it is if you have phone service and hear noise on the line since the DSL still falls into their parameters of service.

0 Likes
Sturmovik
Enthusiast - Level 1

Now if my connection keeps dropping in and out I should be able to demand they fix whatever is causing that.  Granted the new router might still fix things, but long story short 4.5Mbit is just not acceptable.  25Mbit cable only marginally more expensive and if I have to switch I'll switch. I was hoping someone might have some insight on how far Verizon is willing to go to keep copper wire DSL customers.  My area doesn't have FIOS due to a spat with the local government so that's not an option.

PS my internet dropped out again during the time it took to write this reply.  Yarg.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If the connection keeps dropping you can call repair to come and fix the line.

Sturmovik
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well I finally got the techs to look at the problem.  They generically blamed "congestion" and switched my line to another port in the modem.  My speed did increase, but only up to 5.9/0.9.  I assume this is the new normal, so I'm going to give Concast a call before their current sale rates expire then try that for 30 days before canceling Verizon. 

Still don't know what screwed the pooch.  It can't be coincidence that my router/line got flaky at the same time the speed dropped from 7.1Mbit to 4.5.  Oh well, it's not 2008 anymore so I guess I'm due for an upgrade.  Shame Baltimore City kept FIOS out.

0 Likes
Sturmovik
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yay, the speed slowly increased from 5.9 to 6.2 and eventually 7.1 so looks like I am back in bussiness. 

0 Likes