DSL Speed Issue
mdj1966
Enthusiast - Level 2

This seems to be a common issue. I am consistently getting around 3.8mbps, never higher, tried numerous test sites. My next door neighbor has the same package as me, he gets 5.9 and higher. I tried running a new line from my phone box outside directly to my router/modem,I disconnected every landline phone in the house, tried numerous combinations of router/modem all in 1, tried 2 different westell modem only modems straight to my pc along with the westell 7500 in router mode and bridged. Believe me, I ran every troubleshooting test and combination I could think of. Every single time, no matter what configuration I used, I always run in the 3.8's. Like I said my neighbor, next door, has same modem/router  as me and he gets considerably higher. Never had a problem with the internet going down,I have been a DSL customer for over 7 years and now have everything bundled, landline, DirecTV, and DSL, I even have Verizon wireless as my cell phone carrier. Internet speed is of the utmost importance and I need to get this resolved, FIOs is not offered in my area. I just want a resolution as I called Verizon and the best they could do is give me a 5 dollar per month discount, I would rather have the speed I am supposed to have and forget about the discount. I really don't want to go to another provider, I have been a loyal Verizon Customer, but we have to do something about this speed issue.  I have had the new 4 to 7 plan for over 2 weeks now.Thanks for reading.

Mark James

Westell 7500

Desktop PC wired

Laptop wireless

Verizon DSL 4 to 7mbps Package

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL Speed Issue
mdj1966
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, If anyone is interested, I spoke with Technical Support early this morning to again have my speed issue's addressed. The Tech I spoke with was very efficient and seemed like she really wanted to help but was unable to resolve the issue. I was told that a trouble ticket was being "Expedited" to Central Office and someone would be in touch. I have to be honest, I didn't have high hopes, BUT, 8 hours after speaking with support a tech called my home and said he re-routed some things and wanted me to do a speed test. Lo and behold, my speed went from 3.8's to 6.5 down and 0.74 up. I will wait to be too excited until some time passes and we see if the speed remains consistent, but so far it looks good and I am a happy Verizon customer again.

Thank You,

M James

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Log into the modem at http://192.168.1.1/

#2 Choose System Monitoring in the navigation, Advanced Monitors from the Left Hand Side Navigation and then choose System Logging. Post up the contents of the "All" log, either via pastebin.com or via Copy and Paste (Pastebin is preferred since it helps to keep the thread tidy looking). Additionally, post up your modem's Transceiver Statistics (found in the Advanced Monitors section as well) which you can Copy and Paste into the post here.

* -> If you need a Username and Password, try:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

0 Likes
mdj1966
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ran every combination of modem, router, bridged with 2 diffrent brand routers, direct from westell to pc, wired or wireless on laptop, always and I mean always consistent  3.8's down, I went as far as to diconnect my phone lines in the home temporarily and ran Brand New line from box outside directly to modem/router, still 3.8 down. Neighbor next door, shares other half of duplex gets 6.5 and higher, same router 7500 and same speed package, 4 to 7. I have never even hit 4 since the upgrade in speed but I am being charged for it every month. I even took my modem/router outside to the box, hooked in with only 1 line, all phone lines disconnected, using a 2 foot piece of phone line from the box to the modem, ethernet cabled my laptop in and still 3.8 download speed. No question that the problem is on Verizon's end but seems no one will listen, but I still get my monthly bill like clockwork. I'm just frustrated, I do a lot online and really need the faster speed. Like I said, I've been a Vzw DSL customer for 7 plus years and never had a speed issue until going to the next higher package a few months ago. Time of day makes no diffrence in speed, always consistently in the 3.8's. Thanks for listening...Really hope this gets resolved because I love my DirecTV but if no resolution is offered, I will be forced to go the cable modem route which in my area you are required to have cable TV before they will hook you up with internet service.  

M  James

0 Likes
mdj1966
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, If anyone is interested, I spoke with Technical Support early this morning to again have my speed issue's addressed. The Tech I spoke with was very efficient and seemed like she really wanted to help but was unable to resolve the issue. I was told that a trouble ticket was being "Expedited" to Central Office and someone would be in touch. I have to be honest, I didn't have high hopes, BUT, 8 hours after speaking with support a tech called my home and said he re-routed some things and wanted me to do a speed test. Lo and behold, my speed went from 3.8's to 6.5 down and 0.74 up. I will wait to be too excited until some time passes and we see if the speed remains consistent, but so far it looks good and I am a happy Verizon customer again.

Thank You,

M James

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear the problem was dealt with 🙂

0 Likes
superbike1

My download speed is 0.72mbps and upload is 0.37mbps so I guess you're in the FAST lane.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Superbike: check your PMs please 🙂

Click on this link: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

0 Likes