DSL Utilization
wings515
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a DSL Modem/router with four devices attached.  One of the devices is a video security  system with remote access.  I would like to measure or monitor the DSL utilization to determine if I need to put the video system on another DSL line.  I have run a speed test without the video connected and I get about 5MB down and 750K up.  "Normal" internet access is good without video but is slow when connected.

I need to verify the video system is the cause of the overall slowness.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: DSL Utilization
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you log into the video system, how much bandwidth is it set to use? If you're running near or at your upload limit you will find a large decrease in Internet speed without some quality of service being used. Ideally a DSL connection should not be trying to stream anything 480p or higher unless the compression is really good. 360p and less (basically, anything below 500kbps) should run comfortably on the DSL.

It might be best to check the system's requirements as well for how much Internet connectivity you need. Keep in mind though, unless the camera has to pipe the video back out and back in to your network if you are viewing it from your home network, it should not slow your Internet down.

Also, what DSL modem did you get supplied with? Most gateways provided by ISPs do not track real-time bandwidth usage. You usually need a third party appliance, firmware, or software package to track it.

0 Likes