DSL at times is slow loading pages - Signal-Noise Ratio problem
JeanneO1

A couple weeks ago, I had trouble with my DSL cutting out. I called Verizon Customer Service, and they checked and said my phone lines were good so it was my modem that was bad. I got a new modem and hooked it up, and it was good for a few days, but now it's starting to have a very slow connection at times, where pages are slow to load and videos buffer every few seconds. It's ok right now, but earlier it was slow. We've checked our modem settings, and are seeing some issues with our Signal-Noise Ratio. When we hooked up the modem. When we hooked up the modem, the Up Stream and Down Stream were around 3000-4000. Upon checking it earlier, it was 300-400 with a margin less than 10db. This morning it was really slow and the margin was below 6db, which is really bad. What can be done to fix this SNR problem?

0 Likes
Re: DSL at times is slow loading pages - Signal-Noise Ratio problem
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

6 dB is terrible. 11 -20dB  is good but there isn't much room for error. Anything over 20 dB is great. 

If modem wasn't a fix it is probably cabling. Outside(most likey) or inside. Verizon isn't really doing much to fix copper these days since they want everyone on fiber. Hopefully they update your area with FiOS soon.

0 Likes
Re: DSL at times is slow loading pages - Signal-Noise Ratio problem
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is your Upstream and Downstream attenuation at?

Wild swings in speed suggest your copper loop needs repair. If you have phone service, there's probably a lot of static on it too. Verizon will need to find the fault in the cable and repair it to get your SNR (and speed/reliability) back up to snuff.

Unless changes were made inside of your home since the problem began, the problem is likely outside. You can rule out your home's wiring by temporarily connecting the DSL modem to the NID directy, and seeing if the connection holds steady. See this page for what a NID test is: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes