DSL availability - a neighbor is eligible, but not me?
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

I live in Kempton, PA.  The section of my township where I live has no cable service, and Verizon claims we are too far away from the Central Office for DSL.  We currently have a Sprint mobile hotspot as our internet source, a Verizon land line, and Directv.

A state law in PA requires all phone companies to provide DSL to all customers by 12/31/2015.  The process can be sped up if residents sign a petition and certain conditions are met.  I started this process, and we are supposed to have DSL available by October 2014.

However, in the mean time I was entering addresses into Verizon's website and found that one house on my road is eligible for DSL.  At least according the the Verizon website.  I entered the addresses of the houses directly next to it, and neither of them are eligible.  One is closer to the CO, and the other is farther away.  The house that is supposedly eligible for DSL is on a list that I have from Verizon of addresses which are supposedl to NOT be eligible.

Anyone know what might be going on???  It's also interesting - all of the houses on my road have underground phone lines, except for this one.  At this house, the wires are underground, come above ground, strung along a few poles, connect to this house, and the return underground to continue the distance to my house.  Could this have something to do with why DSL is supposedly available there?

I do have the phone number of a Verizon engineer in the area who I am considering calling and questioning about this, but thought I'd check here first since it's 10 pm.

0 Likes
Re: DSL availability - a neighbor is eligible, but not me?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, is that a problem?  Just thought I'd try to get some answers from a variety of places.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pjsutton wrote:

Yes, is that a problem?  Just thought I'd try to get some answers from a variety of places.

It's not a problem. He's just pointing out another location where the answer could be.

I'd certainly side with the posts at DSLReports on this one. It does sound to be a database issue, or a port issue back at the CO. Database issues can be a bit tricky to fix, but asking a tech to put in an engineering ticket for you can get something like this resolved usually within a week or two. Now, if ports are out, that's another story. That will require additional equipment to be installed, which may or may not happen, require a customer to drop their service, or, if Verizon is reserving ports as spare on the DSLAM, opening up a spare port to allow you to order service.

0 Likes
shawn_k

I am having the same problem in my area 17921 ashland pa. and they have no plans on getting FIOS internet here...

0 Likes