DSL connectivity problems
cpdst5

Hi there.

I've had a tech at my house twice because of DSL connectivity problems and they have yet to be fixed. I'm having issues with keeping the connection. It drops out all the time for different periods of time each time that it happens. It doesn't appear that it has anything to do with DSL line because the light is green all the time, but the internet light is only lit when the connection works. It goes out when the connection is dropped. When it does work, the connection is extremely slow.

The modem is a Westell 7500. It's only used wirelessly.

Here are the stats from when the connection is good.

Transceiver Information                                 Down Stream Path                          Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)                                   862                                                         44

Margin (dB)                                                        10.6                                                        6.3

Line Attenuation (dB)                                    36.0                                                        45.2

Transmit Power (dBm)                                  11.6                                                        8.1

I would post them from when the connection is bad, but of course it hasn't disconnected lately.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: DSL connectivity problems
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What level of wireless security is it set to? For example, WEP.

#2 Did you try connecting your modem to the NID

?

If you do not know what one is, look at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes
cpdst5

#1. It's set to WEP

#2. I haven't tried connecting to the NID. I believe that checking the NID was going to be Verizon's next step, but as far as I know, it hasn't been checked yet.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cpdst5 wrote:

#1. It's set to WEP

Be strongly advised WEP can hacked into, in about 1 to 2 minutes.

Source: http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Episode  #89 | 26 Apr 2007 | 46 min. Even More Badly Broken WEP

I am not saying that because you are using WEP is why you are having the issues that you are having.

If you can, go to WPA OR Higher (such as WPA2).

0 Likes
marebug

If you have a solid green light for DSL and you can see you are connected when you log into the modem but it doesn't connect, (timeout connecting with PPP), then theres nothing you can do, Its verizon's problem. They are not authenticating your login that is being sent by the modem, or your router if your modem is in bridge mode. I've had Verizon DSL for a month and its been off more than its been on, with these same symptoms. Depending on which third world country your call gets routed to, they will tell you, A- The problem is in your house, B- We know there is a problem and we are working on it, or C- Everything is fine, we see you are connected. 

0 Likes
cpdst5

It's very frustrating. I'm a college student and I live in an apartment and the internet is kind of an essential thing that I need, but I can't depend on it because it never works.

Is there any number that I can call to talk to someone who is higher up? I'm sick of calling and getting people who say the same thing over again. I want to talk to someone who's actually going to do something.

Does anyone know how to reach someone higher up in the chain?

0 Likes