DSL disconnects randomly, still connected to ISP
Crazu

Hi!

I have an Actiontec GT784WNV modem, and it will randomly disconnect from the broadband. When I open up the router settings, and go to status, it says disconnected from the broadband, connected to the ISP. When this happens, my service drops, and when I open a webpage I get a DNS error. I either have to wait circa 2-3 minutes or hit the connect button and pray for it to reconnect quickly. I can find no rhyme or reason behind it, it is not only during peak hours, not weather related at all. Sometimes I'll go 2 hours without it happening, and other times it'll happen 5 times in a row until I reboot my modem. It is not an error with the modem, as I replaced it with another modem of the same model (both of them are new from Verizon), I replaced the phone line, etc. When I checked the NID box it was screwed in tightly and the verizon rep told me that it should be fine, and not to touch it at all. I was on the phone with them for hours, they could never find a solution.  My modem is configured to PPPoE properly, but I got the idea today of tinkering with the "DSL Settings" page in my router, but I honestly don't know what to adjust so I don't want to screw it up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: DSL disconnects randomly, still connected to ISP
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The modem settings should be fine if you are connected and working fine otherwise. One thing you may want to look for and check is a setting for what mode ADSL uses. This should be set to MMODE or automatic so the modem can use the best mode supported with Verizon's equipment. Away from that, see if you can supply the DSL statistics from your modem. They should give us an idea of your package and line condition.

0 Likes
sherryerrera
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same problem! I have the same modem. I even got a new one. Nothing works. I've had a screen share with tech support and they didn't fix it. They've now escalated my problem. This started 2-3 weeks ago out of no where. I am convinced they have no idea what's up. I ordered Comcast Internet tonight for a Thursday installation. If it's not fixed by then, I'm done with Verizon. I'm tired of playing games and going through the same steps to try and "fix" every few days once I get fed up again. Not having it.

0 Likes
MysteryB
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here, but unfortunately I have no other options. 

0 Likes