DSL is almost unusable
Estochj

I've been a Verizon customer for several years, I have had both DSL and Fios. I recently moved into a new home, and the DSL is basically almost unusable. About 90% of the time, I am unable to stream any videos, small downloads of under 1 gig can take over 5-6 hours if they download at all. I have repeated disconnects and loss of service. I ahve had a technician out a few times, and I have basically been told that even though I live almost in the downtown of a fairly major city, I'm too far and my internet will never get better. It actually took me over 5 minutes to just load this page to type this post. I spoke with customer service and was basically told, I signed a contract, they didn't guarentee me anything other then access to the internet, and I'm stuck in my contract. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do to try to improve my internet speeds?

I'll post the tracerout below

traceroute to {edited for privacy} 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
3 ash-b2-link.telia.net (213.155.130.157) 13 ms ash-b2-link.telia.net (213.155.130.89) 0 ms 0 ms
4 TenGigE0-0-0-10.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (152.179.50.233) 7 ms 5 ms 5 ms
5 P0-10-0-0.TAMPFL-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (130.81.199.27) 33 ms 33 ms 33 ms
6 P9-0.TAMPFL-DSL-20.verizon-gni.net (130.81.33.83) 34 ms 33 ms 33 ms
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * Max number of unresponsive hops reached (firewall or filter?)

And here is my broadband Status

Broadband Parameter Status

VPI: 0
VCI: 35
Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL2
Broadband Negotiated Mode: ADSL2
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Downstream Speed: 1068 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 283 Kbps
Retrains: 0
Retrain Timer: 9 Days, 0H:57M:13S
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 2183432
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 27
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 3729120
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 58666307
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 177
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 8 dB
SNR Upstream : 22 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 67 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 40 dB
Power Downstream 0 dBm
Power Upstream 12.8 dBm

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: DSL is almost unusable
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
It looks like you have a line issue. I'm definitely not an expert, But that's allot errors. I'm pretty sure attenuation downstream should be under 60 or your modem will basically not work. Someone with more experience or a moderator should see this and help you out...
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This definitely looks to be a case of long line here. Did any of the techs who paid a visit try to check the line for points where they could reduce the length of the line, or shave off excess wiring that degrades the DSL signal? Some techs will do this, but otherwise you're pretty much stuck if the line is genuinely too long and Verizon is unable to move your DSL to a closer source. Verizon could do some things about the noise causing errors, which will at least help with connection stability.

Also, a home run would not be a terrible idea in this case, especially if you have a lot of phones in your house or have an alarm system tied into your home's wiring.

0 Likes
Estochj

Yeah, the tech was great. He checked the lines in the house, box on the outside of the house, the telephone pole right behind the house, and then two separate boxes down the street. He even called the home office and had them replace some sort of board, which did help with the constant disconnected. Its actually why I have stuck with Verizon for so long, the technicians they send out are amazing, I could not stand dealing with Brighthouse.

What is the home run thing, I haven't heard of that, but I'm willing to try anything. I do have a security system hooked up in the house, so maybe that will help. It looks like my only solution is going to be to try to talk with customer service and see if they will let me out of just my internet contract, and I guess Ill have to pay for Brighthouse internet. I love my Directv, I'd rather keep that if possible.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A home run is a setup where one line in your home is dedicated to running the DSL Service, and the rest are filtered off at your NID, or wherever the demarcation point is between Verizon's copper connection coming in and your home's wiring. In cases where alarm systems are installed, unless your alarm has a filter built-in (they usually do not) it's best to get one installed so the alarm doesn't cause problems.

0 Likes