DSL is way too slow
timncat2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have no clue why my DSL is so slow. I have all new phone lines installed and jacks but still I have a very slow speed. I am getting on average 1.24Mbps download and 0.90Mbps upload. I have reached 10Mbps 2 times since I had Verizon DSL but it seems I can't get past the 2.26Mbps download anymore and I am paying for 7-15Mbps. I call and it is the same thing, they do a line test and it shows I am getting 11Mbps to the router. So, I try 2 other routers and get the same slow speed. A supervisor called me 3 days ago and when he did and I checked my speed it was 10.24Mbps and he said it would stay that way. Well, that evening I got 1.09Mbps download and I check at different speed check sites. I even got a new Verizon box installed outside and my DSL is on it's own line. I have 2 other lines coming into the house and only one is being used by a 5.8GHz phone so it is not getting in the way. There is a filter on my phone line which is new. It seems the tech department don't get it, they get on my computer to see what the problem is but I have 2 others here that get the same slow speed. There is only one computer on at a time so that is not an issue.  The one thing I don't understand is I live 3 blocks from the main hub here and it is still so very slow. How is it that I can get 10-11Mbps when they call but when they hang up it goes back to 1.24Mbps?  So I am not told I am getting 11Mbps to my router again, I have decided to invest in my own equipment to test that speed to see what it is really getting. I have also decided to use SpeedNet so I can keep a record of my speeds. What happened to Verizon? It use to advertise that your speed won't change because your neighbor got on like the competitions internet, which you are sharing the same line. Well, I am not seeing that commercial anymore. I believe it is time to start contacting the proper people to find out what is going on. I know one night I tried a dialup service and was going faster than my DSL. What does that tell you? Verizon has to understand that when sites start taking over a minute and a half to load, there is a reason to check ones speed.

0 Likes
Re: DSL is way too slow
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry for the repeated slow downs. I have sent you a private message to get more info from you.

0 Likes
Re: DSL is way too slow
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

timncat2: Sounds like you've already done the fair share of troubleshooting towards this problem. At a time when the connection is running at 1.2Mbps instead of the 11Mbps (unless you're mixing up bits from bytes here?), give us both a speed test result AND also provide to us the speed the modem shows it is connected at along with it's Transceiver Statistics.

The ads Verizon runs these days on TV and Radio, and publishes in paper publications are mainly for FiOS. Good reason for that too. You don't see many ads for DSL and Copper-POTS since it is an older technology Verizon wishes to phase out. On computers that do not have Adblocking software installed (eg: Public Machines), I still see advertisements from Verizon for DSL, but I also see FiOS ads as well.

0 Likes