DSL modem changed address of router
jmkav1

Hi!

Today, my port forwarding stopped working because the DSL modem changed the address of the router I am forwarding to. 

I have a DSL modem (Action Tec GT784WNV) with Static IP. I also have a Cisco router plugged into port 1 on the back of the Action Tec. The Action Tec today changed the address of the Cisco from 192.168.2.4 to 2.2 internally. Note - the actual Lan address of the Cisco is 192.168.1.1. The Action Tec is 192.168.2.1. The Action Tec "assigned" 192.168.2.2 as the address of the Cisco off of the Action Tec. I need to make it stick so I can port forward properly. Can you help?

0 Likes
Re: DSL modem changed address of router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is there a specific reason as to why you have two devices acting as a router? You may wish to consider bridging the ActionTec if the only thing connected to it Wired or Wirelessly is the Cisco/Linksys router or consider setting up the Cisco/Linksys router as just an Access Point and Switch and rely on the routing capabilities of the ActionTec.

Otherwise your solution here would be to set the Cisco router up to use a Static IP address to the ActionTec from a range, rather than use DHCP (Automatic Configuration) which can give the Cisco a random IP address. Static IPs will require you to use an IP address within the range of the ActionTec's subnet. For example, 192.168.2.200 with the Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway of 192.168.2.1 (The ActionTec's IP) and from here, the DNS you'd like to use (Public DNS, Verizon's DNS or 192.168.2.1 if you prefer to proxy it through to the ActionTec at a potential cost of reliability).

0 Likes