DSL price increase but no FIOS available
JustmeToo2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've seen some comments that if there is no FIOS available in your area that they don't increase your DSL price.  But I've had a $5 increase last Fall and another $7 increase this month.  I live in a condo, and FIOS is not available in our bldg.  So why should I have to pay for a DSL increase?  Any suggestions?  Comcast is starting to look like a reasonable option.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL price increase but no FIOS available
JustmeToo2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, unfortunately verizon can't offer me a higher speed.  😞   But, after they confirmed that over the phone I asked about getting a better price since there is no Fios in my bldg and the price they were currently charging me I could get at Comcast with faster speeds.  With that they lowered my Double Play cost for landline and DSL from $86.99 to $59.99.  Go figure.  Thanks to everyone for your help.  Though Comcast is still an option, I find that my DSL is typically up more than Comcast is for my neighbors!!  Not sure why.  My Comcast TV is pretty reliable, but the internet doesn't seem to be in our area.  In the mean time I will save some money, I'm not a high volume internet user so it is hard to justify spending much more.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What plan do you currently pay for, what speeds do you get, and how much is it costing you? Those are the three questions we need to know as to how much worth the plan is.

0 Likes
JustmeToo2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been a DSL customer for 10+ years with the internet portion being $29.99/mo until last Fall, when it increased to $34.99/month, no change in speed.  And this month it is going up to $41.99/mo with no increase in speed.  The speed has always been the same, no more than 3.0 Mbps download and 1.0 Mbps upload and typically a bit under that on both.  I believe it is called Enhanced High Speed Internet for DSL.  If I got more speed for the increased price that would be one thing, but it is the same as it has always been.

Is that the information you need?  If not let me know and I'll try again.  😉

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's what I need to get started.

So since you're on the 3Mbps package, let's see if you're able to get some more bandwidth delivered. What modem do you currently use, and do you have any routers in the mix?

0 Likes
JustmeToo2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Currently use Verizon's Actiontec Model #GT784WNV, before that Westell VersaLink Model #327W (still have).

Nothing additional.

Speed test doesn't absolutely flatten out at 3 Mbps, zigzags just below on wired connection.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check this status page for me please.

http://192.168.1.1/ . Default login is usually admin/admin or admin/password, but you or Verizon may have changed this when the modem was set up.

Select Status at the top of the page

Select "WAN Status" or "DSL Status" to bring up the Transceiver Statistics.

If you could copy and paste the Transceiver Statistics page to this post, that would be great. The zigzagging is suggesting that you *might* be seeing an old buffer overflow problem with the DSL, which usually suggests you're on Litespan. Verizon qualifies many Litespan remotes for 7.1Mbps service now. Getting to 7.1Mbps should score you a solid 6.8-6.9Mbps if your line cn take it.

0 Likes
JustmeToo2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here are the stats from early today and this evening:

7:30pm 7/20/20156:00am 7/20/2015
Downstream Speed:3360 Kbps3360 Kbps
Upstream Speed:864 Kbps864 Kbps
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:00
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/AN/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :166104
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/AN/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :00
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :N/AN/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :00
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :N/AN/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :00
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :N/AN/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :00
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :N/AN/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :30
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :N/AN/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :2204277
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :N/AN/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :00
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :00
SNR Downstream :46 dB41 dB
SNR Upstream :14 dB14 dB
Attenuation Downstream :16 dB16 dB
Attenuation Upstream :10 dB10 dB
Power Downstream13.3 dBm13.3 dBm
Power Upstream11.9 dBm11.9 dBm
0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2
Whoa, great stats!!!! You could very easily handle 7.1 Mbps, if Verizon would feel like giving it to you. Maybe even 10 Mbps with stats like that.
0 Likes
JustmeToo2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, unfortunately verizon can't offer me a higher speed.  😞   But, after they confirmed that over the phone I asked about getting a better price since there is no Fios in my bldg and the price they were currently charging me I could get at Comcast with faster speeds.  With that they lowered my Double Play cost for landline and DSL from $86.99 to $59.99.  Go figure.  Thanks to everyone for your help.  Though Comcast is still an option, I find that my DSL is typically up more than Comcast is for my neighbors!!  Not sure why.  My Comcast TV is pretty reliable, but the internet doesn't seem to be in our area.  In the mean time I will save some money, I'm not a high volume internet user so it is hard to justify spending much more.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Find out what equipment you're attached to on Verizon's end when you have a chance. If you can get the DSLAM type and name, that's the key bit of information we're looking for.

As long as you're not on some old piece of Alcatel equipment, or something still being fed by T3, I'd imagine it is just a provisioning database not qualifying you for a higher speed. Those stats should score you a nice 15Mbps if an ADSL2+ DSLAM is available, or 7.1Mbps if not.

0 Likes