DSL router losing IP
Judson2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Background:

Netgear dgn2200 DSL.modem/router.

1.5 years of DSL 1.1 - 3 Mbps rock solid connection.

Upgraded to "enhanced"  3.1 - 7Mbps a couple months ago.

Problem:

Ran PERFECT for a few weeks, then we had a major flooding incendent between my location and the CO.

Now, constantly loosing connection, router losing WAN IP. Noise on the line, etc.

Verizon phone support can see noise sometimes other times not. On site tech says no problem, then next one says loose wire.......

Downgraded speed to previouse package at techs advise but no joy. Same issue at lower speed

Also replaced it with original Westell 6100 with the same results.

Is there anyone with Verizon that can get this issue resolved? I want the high speed and reliablilty, and am willing to pay for it.

But also want it back to its normal stability.

0 Likes
Re: DSL router losing IP
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the Netgear router go to Router Status ->Show Statistics

#2 Please post the info that is there.

0 Likes
Judson2
Enthusiast - Level 2
ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed864 kbps160 kbps
Line Attenuation50.0 db28.0 db
Noise Margin29.0 db31.0 db

I am still running at the slower speeds and having the drops, have requested the increase and am waiting.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Had you tried connecting your moden to the NID

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

If not, do it and get the new status.

0 Likes
Judson2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup, have had it right on the pole at the NID, same results.... even tried different lines between router and NID, no difference.

At wits end trying to make them understand and believe that I have removed all other possible points of failure and it MUST be on Verizons lines.

As I posted earlier, everything was fine until a few weeks ago when the flooding ocurred between my location and the CO.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Judson,

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Noise on the line is typically a sign of a cable fault, and a speed decrease won't solve such a problem but will instead mask the underlying problem a bit. You need a tech to come out. When they perform their line tests, it's best to call from a Cell Phone so that they can check the condition of the copper loop out. The test they run is called the Mechanized Loop Test, MLT for short and it can only be ran when the line is not in use. Have the test performed at a time where noise is present. It should pick up where on the cable the problem is, and if a problem is in fact found, a tech can be given the results of the test and sent off to repair the fault.

0 Likes
Judson2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tech is scheduled for Saturday morning. Will update then

0 Likes
Judson2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Status this morning:

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed5888 kbps800 kbps
Line Attenuation57.0 db28.0 db
Noise Margin7.1 db11.0 db
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well your speed certainly got bumped. Did a tech come out to work on your line and sort out the noise issue or no? For the apparent distance (based on attenuation) you must be on a quality copper pair that is or was unfortunately damaged.

0 Likes