Daily, intermittent DSL disconnects and 1/2 to 2/3's download speed
BenitoMuniz

For many years, my Enhanced DSL service was pretty solid with routine ~7 Mbps download.

Since early this year, we have been getting daily disconnects randomly every few hours, which then takes about 3 miniutes or so to restablish the connection -- almost like a reboot of the connection. That has occured with no change despite using several different modem/router combinations (Verizon-provided and otherwise).

Also, download speed has dropped to the 2 to 5 Mbps range, confirmed by speed tests review of modem connectivity stats that sometimes show wildy different speeds and SNRs before and after the disconnection. 7 Mbps is attained only occassionally every few weeks.

Please escalate this issue to a Verizon agent.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Daily, intermittent DSL disconnects and 1/2 to 2/3's download speed
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
BenitoMuniz

To whom it may concern,

Now I am right on the edge of getting angry, so I have no frienfdly manner to spare anymore. I have spent hours on the phone with tech support, but no reolution of this connectivity issue. So I then spent weeks going between phone tech support, chat, and this online forum just trying to just be able to see my bill online to confirm the the speed that I'm supposed to be getting.

When I posted in this very forum that I could not see my bill online, *** I was told that the issue was being elevated to a Verizon representative ***. After several Kafkaesque loops with Verizon reps, I finally was able to see my bill and confirm the speed by creating a brand-new login id.

I see at least 2 messages in this forum in the past few month, "Presistent problem with Slow DSL Downlink Speeds" and "Slow Speed and constant connectoipn lost issues.," that report the same connectivity problem that I have. *** Those 2 posts were elevated to a Verizon representative. *** All that I want is the same treatment in solving this problem.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi BenitoMuniz,

We have sent you a private message.  Please check your inbox by clicking your username or avatar at the top right corner of the page and then clicking the envelope icon in the panel.

0 Likes
bfield3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would say plug a phone into the NID on the outside of your house where your phone line comes.  Make sure there's no noise that you can hear like static or popping sounds.  Multiple times throughout the years I've had the same issues you're seeing now.  Speaking with tech support they always told me to reboot my modem or my PC.  That's the standard answer from them.  One support rep even told my my NIC on my PC was bad and I needed to reload drivers.  Almost every time I ended up plugging a phone into the NID on the outside of the house and could hear static.  After another 50 calls to support I finally got them to send someone to my house.  He confirmed the line between my house and the central office was bad and eventually fixed it.

But consider yourself lucky having speeds like you do.  My speeds are all over the map and never get above 2.5 and I'm lucky to get that.  Verizon has told me more times than I can count that my distance from the CO won't support anything higher than 2.  But recently I've gotten 3.2 consistently for the past couple months and I was kind of excited.  Everything was rock solid never an issue.  Then as of two nights ago I noticed my speed was back down to 2.2.  I'm positive my line will support 3 consistently, but Verizon has that line analyzer that runs all the time and keeps adjusting the speed based on how well "it" thinks your line quality is.  Personally I'd prefer to run at 3 and deal with the occassional disconnect.  But Verizon doesn't see it that way.  They'd rather people live with crappy download speeds.  Just another way for them to drive you to use wireless via cell phone where possible and then nail you for going over your data limit.

Hopefully the New NY Broadband initiative really works and we can tell Verizon, Time Warner and others we're switching to a company that's willing to actually provide service and speed.  Fingers crossed if you live in NYS.

rescuenut10

I am having the same issue again!!!!!!, dsl drops several times a day, have to reset the router at least once a day, speeds are not up to par etc.  Its been a on going issue. Line tests showed no issue, New router from Verizon. I switched from ie to chrome which seemed to work but now that is dropping just like ie. I can literllay walk out my front door and see a Verizon switch station. Here is the bigger kicker, years ago they ran the fiberoptic cable for FIOS but never finishished the project.

I am to a point where Comcast tripleplay is starting to look good and dropping Verizon all together. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi rescuenut10,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.Private Support Case

0 Likes
Rhettashley

I have had the same probelm for months. Been on the phone with support for 25+hrs.  They sent me a new filter then a new router.  They insist the speed to my modem is fine but I can't even call up Google. Each time it is the same thing -turn router on/off, reset router, do speed test (can't call up speed test), send someone out, took off from work,  waited 4 hrs, nobody showed. One tech says I have a virus - used three different devices - same issues. One tech says that I need to clean out my temp folder - 3 days after I cleaned it for another tech.  They send it to network people, I get superfast connection for three days then on day 4 I can't call up google again. They know this issue is network wide but won't read prior notes nor ackowledge let alone address the issue.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi rhettashley,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes