Deposit
Cdawg75

I ordered my Fios online. I was charged a $250 deposit, was given no notice of the deposit, and only discovered it while looking at my bank statement.  I have good credit, and while this is my first time with Verizon, I've never had issues with other cable companies. I tried calling today (twice because the first time I was disconnected after being put on hold while the person I was speaking to looked something up), and I've gotten NO answers about why I was charged a deposit, when I will get the deposit back, and why I was not given any notice of the deposit at the time I confirmed my order. The second person I spoke to kept repeating the same response (I would have been told about the deposit if I had called in my order) and then when I asked what would happen to the deposit and when I would get it back from Verizon if I cancelled my installation, the person disconnected the call with me...so two hours later, and I have no answers to any of my questions. My building has Comcast as well...we wanted Verizon because we heard good things, but if Verizon is going to charge me a deposit and not tell me anything about it, what's any different from dealing with Comcast? But of course, this representative hung up on me before I had the opportunity to cancel. Incredibly frustrated by the lack of transparency, the poor customer service, and the fact I might have service installed tomorrow because I have no idea if/when I'll get my deposit back if I cancel the install. 

0 Likes
Re: Deposit
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most service providers (cable, gas, electric, water) charge a deposit if you have never had service with them.

I believe Verizon keeps it for a year.

Check your terms of service for more details.

0 Likes
Re: Deposit
jonjones1
Legend

@Cdawg75 wrote:

I ordered my Fios online. I was charged a $250 deposit, was given no notice of the deposit, and only discovered it while looking at my bank statement.  I have good credit, and while this is my first time with Verizon, I've never had issues with other cable companies. I tried calling today (twice because the first time I was disconnected after being put on hold while the person I was speaking to looked something up), and I've gotten NO answers about why I was charged a deposit, when I will get the deposit back, and why I was not given any notice of the deposit at the time I confirmed my order. The second person I spoke to kept repeating the same response (I would have been told about the deposit if I had called in my order) and then when I asked what would happen to the deposit and when I would get it back from Verizon if I cancelled my installation, the person disconnected the call with me...so two hours later, and I have no answers to any of my questions. My building has Comcast as well...we wanted Verizon because we heard good things, but if Verizon is going to charge me a deposit and not tell me anything about it, what's any different from dealing with Comcast? But of course, this representative hung up on me before I had the opportunity to cancel. Incredibly frustrated by the lack of transparency, the poor customer service, and the fact I might have service installed tomorrow because I have no idea if/when I'll get my deposit back if I cancel the install. 

As the other person replied in certain situations companies will charge a deposit.

this is based on factors of credit rating, length of your credit, employment length, even the length of time you lived at your address.

however the deposit could not be in your terms of service since you had not gotten service yet. Verizon as most companies have to tell you upfront why they want a deposit, and for how long they will keep it.

you can notify your bank via written form from your bank that the money was not authorized. However if you clicked on yes/no/agree while ordering it may be you gave permission for the deposit to be taken from you. Never use a personal bank account since it does not offer the same protections as a valid credit card like American Express/MasterCard or Visa which will charge back the amount while they investigate.

0 Likes