Device connection is "Coax" instead of "Wireless 2.4G"
theAmyster

I have the Quantum Gateway, and in it I have both the WAN Ethernet and coax plugged in. It seems that for some reason my desktop computer is using the internet via the coax, however other devices such as the ipad are able to connect to the internet via the WAN ethernet running from the router to the DNT. This is verified from speed tests, as the ipad managed to get well above 100 mbps, while the desktop only got about 60 mbps.

DESKTOP-CISMJHM
Connected To:
Fios_Quantum_Gateway
Connection: Coax
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.95
new-host-2
Connected To:
Fios_Quantum_Gateway
Connection: Coax
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.18

Amys-iPad
Connected To:
Fios_Quantum_Gateway
Connection: Wireless 2.4G
Connection Type: 802.11n
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.238
0 Likes
Re: Device connection is "Coax" instead of "Wireless 2.4G"
theAmyster

The house has a second router/box plugged into another TV that also supplies internet, however it is only connected to the main ONT via a coax cable. I unplugged this secondary router and the device has now switched to this:

DESKTOP-CISMJHM

Connected To: Fios_Quantum_Gateway
Connection: Wireless 5G
Connection Type: 802.11ac
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.95

So it switched back to connecting to the main quantum gateway router. Is there anyway I can change the device settings to always connect to the main router that is connected via an ethernet cable, vs. the secondary one which is connected via coax without turning this secondary one off?
0 Likes
Re: Device connection is "Coax" instead of "Wireless 2.4G"
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The other “router” you have is most likely an extender which uses MoCA over coax. Any devices that connect to that wirelessly or hard wired will show a coax connection in the router’s interface. If you have any pictures or model numbers I can answer your questions more accurately. 

0 Likes