Devices Don't Reconnect to 5ghz From 2.4ghz
GregDA1

I just signed up for Fios and immediately noted drop-off in mobile devices. When I move farther away from router, the router would downshift to 2.4ghz from 5ghz, but wouldn't shift back as I moved closer to the router again.

The router can't manage the changes very well from low speed 2.4ghz to 5ghz and back again (although my old Netgear Nighthawk had no problem).

So I turned off SON in advanced settings and, so far, have not downshifted. While I keep the 5ghz connection moving around the house, I still do lose speeds. The lower speeds are still better than 2.4ghz.

0 Likes
Re: Devices Don't Reconnect to 5ghz From 2.4ghz
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GregDA wrote:

I just signed up for Fios and immediately noted drop-off in mobile devices. When I move farther away from router, the router would downshift to 2.4ghz from 5ghz, but wouldn't shift back as I moved closer to the router again.

Your mobile devices decide which wireless frequency or SSID to connect. 5GHz has an inherent shorter transmission distance than 2.4GHz. For 802.11ac 5Hz, I get speed up to 350Mbps from G1100 on a different floor than the router.

You can consider adding a FiOS Extender.

0 Likes