Devices keep forgetting they're on my home network
Cordcutter57

I had a bundle with Verizon with no contract until a month ago when my bill skyrocketed with no additional services, so I dropped cable; they sent me a new router (model G3100) to replace the G1100 I had. I'm now having issues with the service, as my devices keep going offline with the G3100. I've tried powering them off and on and checking the WiFi network connections with inconsistent results. I haven't returned the old router yet and currently have hooked it back up. If I keep the old one, it will cost me nearly $400. Do most folks just buy their own router, and if so, which models work well with the fiberoptic network? Will I need to use it in addition to the one they sent me?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Devices keep forgetting they're on my home network
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As you dropped TV service, you can use any router you like.  Verizon support will end at the ONT, but for anyone reasonably techy, that's not a problem.

If the G1100 was working for you, no need to replace it unless Verizon is going to charge you for it.  While getting a bit old, it's still supported by Verizon and is a reasonable 802.11ac router.  It probably will go out of support in the near future, as Verizon currently has three router models.  Once it goes out of support, it will make sense to remove it from service as it won't get any firmware updates, including security patches.  But they haven't cut it off yet. 

If you like the G1100, you can buy used ones for about $40.

And EDG1's suggestion to turn off SON on the G3100 is spot on.

As for non-Verizon routers to use with fios, it really boils down your budget, needs and desired features.  For example, if you want an easy to deploy WiFi6 mesh network to give great WiFi everywhere in your home, Amazon, Google, Netgear and TP-Link products are great ones to look at.  Read reviews and specs to find one that looks good for your needs.  You can get a basic router for around $50 that will work just fine for a small area, or you can spend hundreds on a multi-node tri-band mesh system.  Whatever you do, buy from a vendor with an acceptable return policy in case you find issues after testing in your home.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does using the G1100 fix the issues? I would try turning off SON in thr G3100 to see if that works. If you do decide to get you own router any router that fine just make sure it doesn't say docsis or modem. You would send back the verizon routers and just use the one you purchase. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As you dropped TV service, you can use any router you like.  Verizon support will end at the ONT, but for anyone reasonably techy, that's not a problem.

If the G1100 was working for you, no need to replace it unless Verizon is going to charge you for it.  While getting a bit old, it's still supported by Verizon and is a reasonable 802.11ac router.  It probably will go out of support in the near future, as Verizon currently has three router models.  Once it goes out of support, it will make sense to remove it from service as it won't get any firmware updates, including security patches.  But they haven't cut it off yet. 

If you like the G1100, you can buy used ones for about $40.

And EDG1's suggestion to turn off SON on the G3100 is spot on.

As for non-Verizon routers to use with fios, it really boils down your budget, needs and desired features.  For example, if you want an easy to deploy WiFi6 mesh network to give great WiFi everywhere in your home, Amazon, Google, Netgear and TP-Link products are great ones to look at.  Read reviews and specs to find one that looks good for your needs.  You can get a basic router for around $50 that will work just fine for a small area, or you can spend hundreds on a multi-node tri-band mesh system.  Whatever you do, buy from a vendor with an acceptable return policy in case you find issues after testing in your home.

Cordcutter57

Sorry, I'm really new to this. How do I turn off SON?

0 Likes
Cordcutter57

How do I turn off SON? Not certain what that is. Verizon wants $375 if I keep my old router, and you're saying I could get a used one for $40? Think I'll buy a new one if I can't get the one they sent me working consistently. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cordcutter57 wrote:

Sorry, I'm really new to this. How do I turn off SON?

I used Google (or some other online search engine) to lookup son verizon

Of the results back I point to and quote https://forums.verizon.com/t5/fios-internet/new-feature-son/td-p/888922

You can just login and disable it by going to 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgateway.com and going to Wireless Settings/Advanced Security Settings/ Other Advanced Wireless Options/Self-Organizing Network Enabled and set to Off

^^

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cordcutter57 wrote:

How do I turn off SON? Not certain what that is.

See the link that I posted as it answers the second question too.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cordcutter57 wrote:

Verizon wants $375 if I keep my old router, and you're saying I could get a used one for $40? Think I'll buy a new one if I can't get the one they sent me working consistently. 

Yup.  Go to eBay.  Search for G1100, you'll find lots for sale.  Or, try other used item sites like Facebook marketplace or Craigslist.  Don't pay $375 to Verizon to keep y our old router.

Note you can't buy a new G1100, only used.  If you want to buy a new Verizon router, your current choice is the G3100.  Which they already sent you.  If you don't like that unit, you won't like any other unit.

Again, since you're not a TV customer, you can use any router you want.