Disable ICMP type 9 on G1100
ruledbycats1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone know how to turn off ICMP type 9 messages on the G1100 device?  I have IGMP disabled, but still getting ICMP Type 9 messages going out every few minutes across the network.   I'd like to disable it on my network configuration.  

0 Likes
Re: Disable ICMP type 9 on G1100
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Type 9 are IPv6 router Announcements, a requirement for the IPv6 protocol. Disable IPv6 in the router if you don't want to see these.

0 Likes
ruledbycats1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the respone but I think IPV6 is already disabled and I still get the ICMP Type 9 traffic.  On the G1100 I'm looking under Advanced>Routing>IPV6 and "Enable IPV6 Support" is showing as disabled.  On the old MI424WR routers there were hidden pages you could only access by knowing the page number that allowed you to disable IGMP even after you disable IGMP on the main Advanced menu.  (page 6059)  I'm wondering if there is something similar on the G1100 for this traffic?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

See if this URL takes you to the IGMP Proxy settings: http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

0 Likes
ruledbycats1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately that would work on the older routers but not the G1100.  When I log into the G1100 and try that page the syntax is wrong and I get a 404 error.  I'm sure there's a setting in there somewhere.  I wonder if there is anyone out there who has the full tech manual on teh G1100?  The user manual has a lot of info, but nothing that addresses this issue.  Thanks for the help, but I'm still looking.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Under Advanced, Routing, IPV6, there is a routing menu.

It shows IGMP.

Even though V6 is disabled, it defaults to enabled.

Maybe try enabling V6. Then disable IGMP and then disable V6 again.

0 Likes
ruledbycats1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry that didn't work.  Tried it a few times and a few different ways but no luck.  I'm still thinking there's one of those hidden settings.  After following your suggestion I still get the ICMP Type 9 event every 8-10 minutes.

@CRobGauth wrote:

Under Advanced, Routing, IPV6, there is a routing menu.

It shows IGMP.

Even though V6 is disabled, it defaults to enabled.

Maybe try enabling V6. Then disable IGMP and then disable V6 again.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How about enabling V6, disabling IGMP and leaving V6 enabled?

0 Likes
ruledbycats1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried that too, no luck.  

@CRobGauth wrote:

How about enabling V6, disabling IGMP and leaving V6 enabled?

0 Likes