Disgraceful at best!
Kermitdafrag
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's another downgrade horror story.

I recently did a transfer of service from one address on base to another address on the same base (about 1 mile away from the other house). When I called to set up I was told that I would be downgraded to the 5 mbps package even though I was currently  getting 11-15 mbps (which was the package I upgraded to about a year ago). After talking to the rep she said she had no idea why I could not get those same speeds and she sent me over to tech support. Tech support checked both my line at the old house and the line at the new and said that both are set up to run 15mbps service. He sent me to another sales rep that then told me that i should be getting 10mbps service at a minimum at the new address and that if I didn't i needed to call back and have them fix it. 

Fast forward to today (move in day). Download speed at an insane 2.2mbps download (from modem to computer). Lets recap, yesterday 14 mbps, today 2.2 mbps just 1 mile down the road. I called into customer support, as i was told to do by one of YOUR customer service reps. The gentleman I talked to was rude to say the least. He told me that there was no way i could get anything better then 5mbps at this address. I told him I would have been  fine with that if that was what i agreed to, what I was **bleep** about was that this was not what I was told i would be getting. He then informed me that since i just said "I was fine with that" that he didn;t understand what my problem was. I asked to talk to his supervisor and he informed me that if i had a complaint I needed to fill out a form online and submit it.  I then called back and got yet another sales rep who told me my speed lose was due to the distance I moved away from the hub. Oh really!! So 1 mile = 75% decrease in service; you are kidding me right. That has got to be a joke a best. 

This is unacceptable to do to any customer. And the fact that your customer service reps think its fine to lie and to also be rude to customers is just the icing on the cake. I will be looking at other service proviers on this base tomorrow morning. I will not continue to give my money to a company that thinks so little of their customers. I will also not being suggesting your home service to others PCSing into the area for fear of how you may treat them. 

0 Likes
Re: Disgraceful at best!
Kermitdafrag
Enthusiast - Level 1

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2219958156.png

Did I say 2 Mbps?  I must have meant 1.66!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

See what your Transceiver Statistics look like. Depending on how the cable is running, going from 11Mbps to 5Mbps max isn't out of the ballpark. ADSL has a very sharp capacity curve. You get awesome speeds but they fall of quickly as you go farther out and then slow in decline as you hit the 2 mile mark.

Kermitdafrag
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do I run that test? 

The only problem I have with the reason that was given is that I have a co-worker in my section that moved from his house to the house next door and the same exact thing happened to him. He had one package when he moved in and a little over a year later he was told that he no longer qualified. 

BTW...thanks fo rthe responce. 

0 Likes
Kermitdafrag
Enthusiast - Level 1
Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code4D54
Line ModeADSL_G.dmt
Data PathINTERLEAVED

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)5376800
Margin (dB)14.510.0
Line Attenuation (dB)38.724.0
Transmit Power (dBm)19.811.9

Is this the info you were looking for?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome 🙂

In this case, believe it or not Verizon is actually correct. Your line is not going to be doing 10-15Mbps as it is showing almost two miles of wire (you look to be at about 9600ft of copper in one run), however it may squeeze by high 6 or 7Mbps if ADSL2+ can be re-presented to you. Right now you're at 5Mbps/768kbps however you are not holding the full sync rate for it either. It should be at 5888kbps downstream, 864kbps upstream.

For reference, my line is a bit longer than yours. I've got 5Mbps as well.

Downstream Upstream
Relative Capacity 83 91
Noise Margin 9.5 7.0
Transmit Signal Power 16.0 12.0
Attenuation 42.5 22.0
Fast Channel Bit Rate 5888 864

These statistics are from the DSLAM. If you notice, I am properly synchronized with FastPath, however due to distance my transmit power is somewhat high. Not as high as yours which is as close to max, but also my line is near it's max capacity. My SNR is as low as it should ever go.

Now unless Verizon can do something to push the speed higher, or they can find a way to shorten the line that's about all you will be getting.

To picture out how speed falls as attenuation and distance rises, here's the best chart I've found.

0 Likes