Distance of router to ONT
Mikey122

I am installing new 1 gig service plus triple play. My old router is on the 2nd floor. The ONT is outside on the same side of the house. Can I replace the existing coax with approx 50 feet of cat 5 e?  Other option would be to move the router to the basement or kitchen very near the ONT and run the Ethernet to the main computer in that office. 

thank you 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Distance of router to ONT
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need both actually.

The distance is fine (mine is actually probably around 150ft by the time it winds it way from the ONT on the far side of the garage into the basement out the other side of the house and up to my office on the second floor. 

However as you have triple play, you need a coax connection from the ONT to your Coax cable plant (for the TV signal) and to your router (for the STB's to reach the internet via MoCA).

So the correct answer it ... a run of cat5E in ADDITION to the existing coax connection is just fine -- and in fact exactly what you need.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fifty feet of 5e is perfectly fine. Cat5e is rated for a gig up to 328 feet. 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Edg1 wrote:

Fifty feet of 5e is perfectly fine. Cat5e is rated for a gig up to 328 feet. 

But since they have FIOS TV too, how would they continue to have FIOS TV working over ethernet? I thought that FIOS TV requires Moca.

Please and thank you

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need both actually.

The distance is fine (mine is actually probably around 150ft by the time it winds it way from the ONT on the far side of the garage into the basement out the other side of the house and up to my office on the second floor. 

However as you have triple play, you need a coax connection from the ONT to your Coax cable plant (for the TV signal) and to your router (for the STB's to reach the internet via MoCA).

So the correct answer it ... a run of cat5E in ADDITION to the existing coax connection is just fine -- and in fact exactly what you need.