Do I need the FIOS router for streaming?
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I live in an apartment.

I have 2 set-top boxes. One is in the living room & 1 is in the utility room. The ONT is in the utility room. The router is in the utility room.

A coax cable comes out of the ONT & connects to a 4-way splitter. One coax goes from the splitter to the set-top box. Another coax goes to the router. The 3rd goes to the set-top box in the living room.

I read somewhere online that the set-top boxes use the router for diagnosing the set-top boxes.

I plan to cut the cord, probably this year. So, I'll be taking the 2 set-top boxes & the remotes to the Verizon store. Can I take the FIOS router as well? Do I need it for streaming? Can I buy a router & hook it up to the ONT? If that's the case, are certain types or routers not compatible with FIOS?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do I need the FIOS router for streaming?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has a management interface into their routers.  They can use this to reset things for customers who don't know how to manage their own equipment and to verify operation.  It also enables router controls through their web site and app.  Some people like these features, some people don't.

If you have fios one set-top-boxes, a Verizon router is needed as it creates network paths for the boxes to communicate.  The older boxes could be made to work with non-Verizon routers by people with excellent networking skills.  The new fios one boxes can't be activated and be very difficult to keep working without a Verizon router.  It's an exercise best left to those who love tinkering with routers and networking.

In your case, you can keep using the Verizon router if it meets your needs.  If you're renting it, I suggest you buy a used one online.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While we get that you have FIOS, do you also have FIOS TV with a FIOS one box?

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you get rid of all Verizon set-top boxes, you can use any router you like.  You will need to get your ONT provisioned to use Ethernet WAN instead of coax WAN, and run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router.  You can do that today; run the cable then contact Verizon to provision Ethernet WAN.  You can do it over chat, and they don't charge for the switch.

Once you have Ethernet WAN, it's easy to plug in any router you like.  There is no such thing as  "fios compatible" router, regardless of what you read on some web sites.

The only "downside" is Verizon will not provide any support past the ONT.  If you have Internet issues, they will verify the signal makes it to the ONT then everything else is up to you.  If you're reasonably techie, this isn't a big deal.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Is the FIOS One like the Roku or Fire TV Stick?

I don't have any streaming device.

I can't decide what device to get but I'm leaning towards the Google TV dongle.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

You state:

The only "downside" is Verizon will not provide any support past the ONT. If you have Internet issues, they will verify the signal makes it to the ONT then everything else is up to you. If you're reasonably techie, this isn't a big deal.

So then, if I keep the FIOS router, then Verizon can verify that the signal makes it to the router correct?

I read online somewhere, maybe on this forum, that the set-top boxes need the FIOS router to diagnose problems on the set-top boxes. Is that correct? Of course, if I turn in the set-top boxes, then I don't need the FIOS router.

I know very little about networks. I really have no need to buy a new router. If I were to buy a new router, I'd have to reset my printer & laptop & smartphone. That's no big deal.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has a management interface into their routers.  They can use this to reset things for customers who don't know how to manage their own equipment and to verify operation.  It also enables router controls through their web site and app.  Some people like these features, some people don't.

If you have fios one set-top-boxes, a Verizon router is needed as it creates network paths for the boxes to communicate.  The older boxes could be made to work with non-Verizon routers by people with excellent networking skills.  The new fios one boxes can't be activated and be very difficult to keep working without a Verizon router.  It's an exercise best left to those who love tinkering with routers and networking.

In your case, you can keep using the Verizon router if it meets your needs.  If you're renting it, I suggest you buy a used one online.