Dropping connections while downloading
ae79

Recently upgraded from 7 mbps service to 15 mbps service. Had full speed with my old modem (Westell 327W) for 5 days after the new service started. Full download speed (14.7 of 15!), no problems. A bit spotty on the upload speed however.

After 5 days a new modem arrived. ActionTec gt704wgb. It wouldn't work when I first hooked it up but after tech support "reset" my line it was fine. Same download speed but slightly improved upload speed - much closer to promised speed.

BUT, now I am unable to download cleanly. Virtually all of my downloads are interrupted. This is true both HTTP and FTP downloads. Now, here is what is really strange - I have uTorrent running on an older computer in the back room. If I stop uTorrent then I get uninterrupted downloads on my main computer. If I run Azureus instead of uTorrent I get uninterrupted downloads on my main computer. But, if I have uTorrent (version 2.2.1, build 25320) running on my old computer on the LAN then I always (and I really do mean ALWAYS) get a disconnect in my downloads. I've downloaded a Linux ISO disk twenty times and ALWAYS get a disconnect if uTorrent is running on the LAN but NEVER get a disconnect if Azureus is running (even at FULL speed uploading!) or if neither is running.

HELP!!

0 Likes
Re: Dropping connections while downloading
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Make sure you are only running one web browser window or tab.

#2 Check what the upload and download speeds that you are getting at a website that offers a speed test.

#3 For the P2P clients, make sure that the upload and download speeds are not set to unlimited.

Instead, for example 50% of the speed.

#4 While I know your modem combo(s) have four RJ-45 LAN ports, do you have a RJ-45 WAN port router?

If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router: What is the brand and model of it?

#5 On your Westell 327w, did you have the same issue that you have on your ActionTec gt704wgb ?

0 Likes
ae79

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dslr595148 wrote:

#1 Make sure you are only running one web browser window or tab.

Art --  Number of browser windows or tabs makes no difference. Problem occurs even running ONLY FileZilla and with no other software running (except AVIRA antivirus, which is always running in the background). I am XP PRO SP3.

#2 Check what the upload and download speeds that you are getting at a website that offers a speed test.

Art -- http://www.speedtest.net/result/1777852855.png

#3 For the P2P clients, make sure that the upload and download speeds are not set to unlimited.

Instead, for example 50% of the speed.

Art -- No problem with Azureus when set to unlimited. Problem with uTorrent when set to 20% or even 10%. Problem does NOT seem to get worse when uTorrent is set to a higher speed but I generally set to the lower speed anyway.

#4 While I know your modem combo(s) have four RJ-45 LAN ports, do you have a RJ-45 WAN port router?

If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router: What is the brand and model of it?

Art -- Not sure what is meant by "WAN port router." I have a Linksys BEFSR41 v2 router between my gateway and my desktop. As a test, I cabled directly from my gateway (i.e.., the ActionTec Modem/Router) to my desktop and ran some test downloads. All had disconnects, so I conclude the Linksys router wasn't the cause of the problem.

#5 On your Westell 327w, did you have the same issue that you have on your ActionTec gt704wgb ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the first 4 question I put my answers in bold above. Unfortunately, neither the web browser tabs nor the P2P speed nor the local router was the problem.

Prior to the ActionTec I had no problems. The problem is that two (or three) things changed. 1) My line speed went up from 7mbps to 15mbps. I didn't notice any problems when the line speed went up and I was using the Westell 327W but it is possible there were disconnects but I didn't notice. It was only 5 days or so. So, I think I was fine with the Westell but cannot be 100% sure. [To troubleshoot I have tried to put the Westell back but I cannot get a connection with the Westell anymore. Not sure why. Tech Support is no help!]

2) Changed from Westell 327W to ActionTec gt704wgb.

3) Changed from uTorrent 2.2 to 3.1. Massive problems so went "back" to 2.2.1. Have not yet tried going back to 2.2 as I don't know which version I had installed (multiple build numbers).

It seems to me the real test would be to replace the ActionTec with my Westell. But, when I did that I couldn't get the Westell to work. I called Tech Support and had them "reset" my line (which was necessary when switching from the Westell to the ActionTec). Assume they did it correctly but it made no difference.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, I have some ideas.

-- Idea number one --

#1 Go to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 Get the directions for putting your Westell 327w into bridge mode, as you will need them.

Disconnect your router from the modem, and connect a PC to your modem. Once this is set and the PC is online only though the modem, press and hold the reset button down on the back of the modem for 30 seconds. When you release the button, give the modem a few minutes to reboot and auto-configure itself. Once the modem appears to have settled down and the Internet light has lit up (after DSL goes solid), visit http://192.168.1.1/ on your PC. The modem will ask you for a new password to set (if it prompts for a password via a browser login window, use admin as the username, password as password). Set the modem's password to something you will remember, in case you need to visit it again. At this point, the modem should be holding an IP address, and indicate that it is fully connected.

From here, this part is *VERY IMPORTANT*. We need to disable the walled garden on the modem. Visit http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm and log in using your username and password combination for the modem. You should then see a page that says "RESTRICTED" and you should also see a Disable button on that page. Click Disable.

From this point, verify you can reach sites such as Google.com and Yahoo.com, and you do not get redirected to a Verizon Setup page. If all goes well, then

a) Put your Westell 327w into bridge mode, as directed.

b) Make sure all of your computers are behind your RJ-45 WAN port router (Linksys BEFSR41 v2).

c) Reconfgure you RJ-45 WAN port router for the type of connection that you use. By that, it could be: PPPoE DHCP (if your RJ-45 WAN port router does not ask what kind of PPPoE, it is PPPoE DHCP), Pure DHCP, OR Pure Static IP.

--- Idea number two ---

#1 Put your current modem combo into bridge mode.

I am not sure, but I believe this might help

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25039239-

#2 Make sure all of your computers are behind your RJ-45 WAN port router (Linksys BEFSR41 v2).

#3 Reconfgure you RJ-45 WAN port router for the type of connection that you use. By that, it could be: PPPoE DHCP (if your RJ-45 WAN port router does not ask what kind of PPPoE, it is PPPoE DHCP), Pure DHCP, OR Pure Static IP.

^^^

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You aren't by any chance using uTP or Bandwidth Management in uTorrent, are you? Also, UPnP and NAT-PNP is disabled as well?

0 Likes
ae79

@dslr595148 wrote:

Ok, I have some ideas.

First, let me provide an update. I spent 2 hours this afternoon and got Tech Support to re-enable my Westell 327W . [I include a description at the bottom in case anyone else has the same issue.]

With the Westell 327W up and running I ran my download tests five or six times and NO problems. I then called Verizon and we re-enabled the ActionTec GT704WGB and downloaded the same files again with uTorrent 2.2.1 running - PROBLEMS!!

So, I think it is clear that the ActionTec is the problem. If I run the exact same setup minutes apart with the only difference being the modem - I get problems with the ActionTec and no problems without it. What is still open to question is whether the ActionTec GT704WGB is poorly designed and that is the problem or whether I have a lemon. Verizon is sending me a replacement modem which I should get next week some time.

I take it you are suggesting I run the gateway (which means modem & router combo) as strictly a modem. Presumably, that would isolate whether the problem is with the modem part of the GT704WGB or with the router part of the GT704WGB. I think that makes sense. I believe I am using the Linksys router as a switch - I have DHCP disabled on the Linksys so I don't think it is working as a real router but frankly I'm not sure about that. I think what I want to do is have the ActionTec as pure modem (I think that means is "bridge" mode); the Westell 327W as a wireless router; and the Linksys as a switch (it current mode). What I would have is:

ActionTec GT704WGB (bridge mode) ---> Westell 327W (as wireless router) ---> Linksys (as switch) ---> desktop

I'll look at your instructions re putting my combo into bridge mode (meaning modem only) but what I could really use is instructions on how to use my old Westell gateway as a pure router (no modem function).

REENABLE WESTELL 327W -- To get help reenabling the Westell I basically told Verizon Tech Support that I was getting no lights on the ActionTec and no connection and needed to go back to the Westell. It took about 1.5 hours but we finally got the Westell back working. It would "sync" immediately but couldn't negotiate an IP. I finally convinced the service rep to contact internal tech support (she called it the "network group') and have them test and reset the line. After some 5-8 minutes my connection suddenly went live. The trick seems to be some kind of a line "reset," which the service reps cannot do themselves (their "reset" apparently releases and resets the DHCP address, which I think I can do myself from the modem).

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I doubt the problem is with the hardware on the ActionTec. Often, it's the firmware that makes or breaks a router. Take the MI424WR Rev. D I have. This particular router, used on Verizon FiOS is known to have poor firmware. Small NAT Table which knocks out torrents if you run with too many connections, bugs with UPnP, and annoying issues that mess up the wireless radio in it, so on and so fourth. Do what I did and load DD-WRT onto the router (need to know a bit of Telnet and Python for this particular unit)? You've got something that takes far more abuse than any off the shelf router and can stay up without needing reboot. My current ActionTec has been through torrents and all sorts of other abuse and heavy demand since it was last rebooted over a half a year ago due to an outage. Rock solid, NAT Table can be made to be huge, and the Wireless performs better than the pre-installed firmware. It actually hits 28Mbps on a Wireless G radio in a wireless-heavy neighborhood (I'm all Ethernet, FYI), and has no problem busting a few houses in range and still maintain connections. Since the router was rebooted it has done a little over a terabyte of data and it's RAM usage still sits where it originally booted up with, and CPU usage remains at 0% as it always does (523Mhz CPU).

I'm sure if there is a firmware upgrade available for the ActionTec, it will help.

0 Likes
ae79

@Smith6612 wrote:

You aren't by any chance using uTP or Bandwidth Management in uTorrent, are you? Also, UPnP and NAT-PNP is disabled as well?

I am using uTP tracker support and uTP Bandwidth Management. I turned both off and still got errors. uPnP and NAT-PNP are both unchecked (meaning not enabled). I like the way you are thinking but the only way the problem disappears is to turn off uTorrent entirely (Azereus isn't a problem but is so complicated I'm not sure what me settings are!) or use my old Westell 327W modem instead of the new ActionTec GT704WGB. By the way, uPnP is disabled in my gateway.

0 Likes
ae79

@Smith6612 wrote:

I doubt the problem is with the hardware on the ActionTec. Often, it's the firmware that makes or breaks a router. Take the MI424WR Rev. D I have. This particular router, used on Verizon FiOS is known to have poor firmware. Small NAT Table which knocks out torrents if you run with too many connections, bugs with UPnP, and annoying issues that mess up the wireless radio in it, so on and so fourth. Do what I did and load DD-WRT onto the router (need to know a bit of Telnet and Python for this particular unit)? You've got something that takes far more abuse than any off the shelf router and can stay up without needing reboot. My current ActionTec has been through torrents and all sorts of other abuse and heavy demand since it was last rebooted over a half a year ago due to an outage. Rock solid, NAT Table can be made to be huge, and the Wireless performs better than the pre-installed firmware. It actually hits 28Mbps on a Wireless G radio in a wireless-heavy neighborhood (I'm all Ethernet, FYI), and has no problem busting a few houses in range and still maintain connections. Since the router was rebooted it has done a little over a terabyte of data and it's RAM usage still sits where it originally booted up with, and CPU usage remains at 0% as it always does (523Mhz CPU).

I'm sure if there is a firmware upgrade available for the ActionTec, it will help.

No updated firmware available.

The NAT Table might be the problem. The ActionTec "Nat Table" page shows 13 entries. That seems puny. With uTorrent I have 500+ torrents seeding while with Azureus I had just 10 or so. That might be why Azureus generated no errors while uTorrent did.

How can I troubleshoot this further?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh.

#1 Get the direction to put the Westell into bridge mode. That FAQ that I pointed you to, also applies to your Westell 327w.

#2 Make sure only a computer, a power supply and a phone line are connected to the Westell 327W.

#3 Reset the Westell 327w to the Defaults.

#4 Disable the walled garden, feature in it.

#5 Put the Westell into bridge mode.

#6 Reset the Linksys to the Default Settings.

#7 Connect the computer that was connected to the Westell behind the Linksys.

#8 Connect the Linksys's WAN/Internet (or might be called To Modem) port to one of the Westell's LAN ports.

#9 Reconfigure the Linksys for the type of connection that you use

#!0 FYI:

a) If you are Residential Service, it can only be pure DHCP OR PPPoe DHCP. If you are on Business Grade: It can only be pure DHCP, pure Static or PPPoE DHCP.

b) What I am calling PPPoE DHCP in the Westell is just called PPPoE.

c) Both pure DHCP and pure Static in the Westell are called Routed Bridge.

FYI part D

The difference between pure DHCP and pure Static, besides what I told you already in FYI part A, is with Pure DHCP you don't define the following info: IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and at least one DNS Server.

^^

0 Likes