ERIE,PA very slow Dsl speeds
CORY255

The fastest I can get is 2.92 I am thinking about switching to Time Warner.Why can't Verizon lay down better cables in the 16506 area code?Is verizon even looking into this issue?

0 Likes
Re: ERIE,PA very slow Dsl speeds
hitmehhh
Contributor - Level 1

I have HSI enhanced. I was getting speeds of about 6.5 now I am lucky to get 4.5. I think they are scaling back to push you towards FIOS.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are more factors than Wire length and quality that determine the maximum speed you can get. Some notable things:

• Source of service. Are you from the Central Office, or are you out of remote equipment?
  • Backhaul to the network. Are they T1 lines (1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps each) bonded together or is it Fiber? If Fiber, is it OC1 (45Mbps), OC3 (155Mbps) or OC12 (622Mbs) and how many customers are sharing that?
  • How capable is the equipment? While all ADSL equipment is designed for 8Mbps/1Mbps, the above point determines what the equipment can do. Some equipment is so old it can't accept anything more than T3/OC1 (45Mbps) or OC3 (155Mbps), and it could have potentially hundreds of customers. Also, some equipment needs software upgrades in order to perform well enough.

That's not to say Verizon doesn't have the resources to do it. They are perfectly capable of pushing everything to the max.

With that said, if FiOS is available, get it. Time Warner gets equally as expensive if not more once the promotions run out. I know so since they are in my area. Their silly modem rental fee goes up every few months along with the Cable TV bill.

0 Likes
CORY255

I would love to have FIOS they keep telling me we are on the list but I don't think we are.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've been on the list for years. Two years ago this little box appeared within walking distance from my home:

I took that photo just today. That is a Fiber Distribution Hub used for FiOS. It's been there for exactly two years now, with no one connected to it. Still on DSL out here. I mean, I'm out in the sticks but the fiber's also there, no excuse as to why it's not being used.

0 Likes
CORY255

I am not holding my breath that Verizon is going to do anything in my area.I don't live in a Rural area.I don't understand how the highest speed they told me I could get is 3mbs.

0 Likes