Early termination fee when there is no service in the area
Fedup741
I have been a loyal FIOS customer since the day they came into my area I want to say it was 2007 ish. I am completely floored by what has transpired this week in canceling my service because circumstances in my life required me to move and it so happens that FIOS does not service my new area. My understanding of the early termination fee was completely wrong apparently.. And I am not the only one that has. I am livid at the way the representatives addressed the issue with me as well as the fact that I was told that a supervisor "Brian" in Verizon Westchester was called me back in an hour and that never happened. Are you kidding?
They need to clarify in their contract that the ETF still must be paid if you move into an area that is not serviced by verizon. I am forever done with Verizon and will encourage everyone to go elsewhere for cable/internet/phone services. This Company designed their terms to only benefit them at the cost of their customers. Who would want to do business with a company like that? In addition to the fact that everyone I have spoken to regarding this issue states that the ETF should be waived when there is NO SERVICE provided for the new address as they understand it as well. I am recommending to my friends that are with FIOS to no longer do business with them as their contracts expire.
I have found verizon to be completely unreasonable. I do not see the grounds for their claim to an ETF given their inability to provide me with service nor do i see any value in their argument that the contract addresses this; it simply does not. They assumed that by stating that canceling would result in an ETF in their contract would be understood as "no matter what" while I assumed this meant "except when they can't cover the area". Due to their ambiguity, they have created a contract open for interpretation and that is NOT contract law. Period.
0 Likes
Re: Early termination fee when there is no service in the area
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello,

We did not hear back from you on your Private Support case. We hope you were able to find resolution to your issue.

If you require further assistance, feel free to make a new post, and we can be sure to look into your issue. As always, we're available for support around the clock.

Thanks,
Marcial

0 Likes
Maha6543

Hi There,

I'm having a similar issue where I am moving to a new address that is not covered by Fios and am being told I will be charged for early termination, still with 10months in my plan. How can I get the fee waived?

Thanks,

0 Likes
vickimiko

Hello Fedup74,

We have the exact same problem since we moved in November 2014. I am still working on it. Thank you for posting your situation. Well said. Wondering if your issue was resolved? Thanks again. 

0 Likes
bayyak

It is happened with me too. While taking the service I have told them that I will be moving in another 6 months as my project ends in that area. The sales guy called Verizon Support and confirmed me that there is no ETF If I move to a location where no Verizon service. When I called for transfer the service, the customer care representative told me that there is no service available in the new location hence they are terminating my service and confirmed there is no ETF due to this situation. After 10 days, I got my bill and there is ETF. Now, the billing department reading terms and conditions where they didn't cover this scenario. This is all marketing Fraud.

Soon I will post this in my company network to make sure that my colleagues know about this problem before they take any connection with Verizon. Most of my colleagues may need to relocate after a period of time due to projects.

0 Likes