Eero router with FIOS TV
slazhole1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Everyone. I followed the sticky (https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632) on how to use your own router while using the Fios router to keep VOD, DVR, etc. I was successful in releasing the DHCP from the Fios router, connecting my Eero router to the ONT, and getting internet. 

Where I messed up was connecting an ethernet from the Eero LAN port to the Fios router WAN port so that I can still get VOD. I thought I changed the subnet on the Fios router to be on the same subnet as the Eero router (192.168.4.x), but I guess I did something wrong. I couldn't get On Demand to work (timed-out error) and I couldn't log back into the Fios router using 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.4.x. As a result, I had to reset the Fios router. I was able to access the Fios router using 192.168.1.1 and the PW that's on the sticker. I turned off WiFi and I disabled DHCP. I didn't change the IP address prior to the disabling the DHCP. Everything works - internet, Fios TV, on demand, DVR, etc., but I can no longer log back into the Fios router using 192.168.1.1. 

So couple of questions:

1. How do I know my set-up is correct where my primary router is my Eero router and the Fios router is only used for MoCa for VOD, DVR, etc.? 

2. What should I do about the Fios router and how it's set up? It my network double NAT'd?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Eero router with FIOS TV
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 For that other router, you must:

a) Have it disconnected at this step.

b) Set it's LAN IP Address with the same Subnet as the primary but outside of the DHCP Range of the Primary router's DHCP Range.

For example with the primary IP Address 192.168.1.1 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the first DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.100 and the last DHCP Address that it handles out is 192.168.1.254 - then the other router's LAN IP Address could be 192.168.1.6

c) Disable the DHCP Server in the second RJ-45 WAN port NAT router.

#2 Once you make those changes, now you can connect both of those routers together but this time LAN to LAN.

You did that?

slazhole1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dslr595148 - I did Eero LAN to FiOS router WAN. Was I not supposed to do that? At this point, I just want to re-configure the FiOS router. I can't login to the FiOS router for whatever reason. I thought I changed the IP address to be on the same subnet as the Eero router, but I can't login. Should I reset the router and re-configure using the instructions your provided? I can reset the router and login to 192.168.1.1 without the router being connected to the internet? Or do I need to reset the FiOS router and connect an ethernet from the Eero LAN to the FiOS router WAN?

The Gateway IP address to the Eero is 192.168.4.1, so when I change the IP address on the FiOS router, I should change it to 192.168.4.2?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Make sure that both routers are not connected to each other.

#2 Reset the FIOS router.

#3 Then setup the FIOS router's IP Address with-in the same subnet but outside of the DHCP Range of the Eero router's DHCP Range.

slazhole1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forgive me here. I did #1 and #2. #3 is where I am getting hung up. My Eero router's default gateway is 192.168.4.1. Should I be changing the FiOS router's IP address to 192.168.4.2 by going to My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Settings?

Change the IP Address to 192.168.4.2

Keep the Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Disable DHCP Server

Is there anything else I should be changing? After I apply the change, I should be able to login to the router with the new IP address correct? And then I should be able to connect LAN to LAN between the Eero router and FiOS router? Or LAN from Eero to WAN of FiOS router?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Yes correct, connect them LAN to LAN.

#2 Yes correct, after you make those changes you need to use the new LAN IP Address to talk to it.

[EDIT] #3 If that does not work work, you can change the FIOS back to use 192.168.1.1 and leaving the DHCP set to disabled, then change the other router's LAN IP to be in the same subnet as the FIOS router and leaving DHCP enabled on it (the FIOS router must be outside of the DHCP Range of it).