Epson Workforce 630 and the WiFi
bufcopper
Enthusiast - Level 1

My workforce printer was operating wirelessly for quite a while then stopped. I have been trying to get it to work again and have had no luck. After  about 15 tries to set it up and seeing " an unknown error has occurred" I got an message last night after trying one last time that read "Router set to 802.11N with WPA-PSK (TKIP) security is not supported".  I uploaded the latest updates from the printer manufacturer's website and still nothing. My printer is a mod C11CB07201. Router is FiOS mod G1100. Can someone advise what I could possibly do besides buying a new printer. Thank you very much.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Epson Workforce 630 and the WiFi
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The reason why 802.11n and WPA-PSK are not compatible, is because Wireless N requires WPA2-PSK or Unencrypted operation modes. Any other setting like WPA or WEP will force the wireless mode to Wireless G mode.

If it suddenly broke, it may be due to a firmware update, or SON. Try to disable the SON feature in your router, and make sure to reconnect any of your 5Ghz capable devices to the new 5Ghz network created by the router. 

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/network-extender/son

The FAQ above details how to enable or disable SON using the My FiOS App. If you don't want to use the app, visit myfiosgateway.com and log into the FiOS router using the credentials printed on the router's sticker. The SON settings will be found under the Advanced Wireless section.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

G1100 router has two modes.

2.4Ghz and 5.0 Ghz

Are you having the issue when connecting to either network?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bufcopper wrote:

"Router set to 802.11N with WPA-PSK (TKIP) security is not supported"

The printer's Wireless Protected Access version mismatches that of the router's.

Your router is set to WPA, the printer probably wants WPA-2.

The default setting for wireless should be WPA-2. Did someone manually adjust it to WPA to accommodate some old devices? If that's the case, adjusting the router to WPA-2 will disconnect the older devices.

To do this, go to Router's GUI, Wireless Settings -> Basic Security Settings -> WiFi Security -> WPA2 for 2.4GHz.

I recommend you to hard wire the printer with an ethernet cable. Really every fixed devices, that is not portable, should be linked with ethernet.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The reason why 802.11n and WPA-PSK are not compatible, is because Wireless N requires WPA2-PSK or Unencrypted operation modes. Any other setting like WPA or WEP will force the wireless mode to Wireless G mode.

If it suddenly broke, it may be due to a firmware update, or SON. Try to disable the SON feature in your router, and make sure to reconnect any of your 5Ghz capable devices to the new 5Ghz network created by the router. 

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/network-extender/son

The FAQ above details how to enable or disable SON using the My FiOS App. If you don't want to use the app, visit myfiosgateway.com and log into the FiOS router using the credentials printed on the router's sticker. The SON settings will be found under the Advanced Wireless section.

bufcopper
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for answering my question. But what I finally ended up doing was putting my printer under my guest fios account and it connected . I then hooked up an ethernet cable and it seems to be working.