Ethernet connected Router and I want to use the COAX cable to extend my network to other floors
Kappachuck
Enthusiast - Level 1

A true Novice here ... I have Fios (internet only) in my house.  We are using everything wirelessly now with no TV service from FIOS or anyone else.  We have two computers, two cell phones and two TVs with several streaming services (ROKU and the Verizon Streaming Service).  I need to extend the wireless service (it is very slow two floors above the router) to the top floor of our townhouse.  My question is, since Verizon connected my router via ethernet from the ONT, how can I use the COAX cabling in the house to connect to an Extender upstairs?  I'm hoping that I can simple connect the router to the nearby Coax connector on the wall and the signal will use that wiring and I can then connect the extender upstairs.  However, I can find no info on exactly whether or not this would work.  Any advice is appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet connected Router and I want to use the COAX cable to extend my network to other floors
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the two coax ports are both connected to the same coax network, it really is as simple as you think.

If they aren't connected, you'll need to find the central point where all the coax cables come together.  Then, make sure the two runs are either directly connected or attached to a splitter.  Note the MoCA signal can go between any legs of a splitter; don't worry about the "in" and "out" labels.

View solution in original post

Re: Ethernet connected Router and I want to use the COAX cable to extend my network to other floors
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the two coax ports are both connected to the same coax network, it really is as simple as you think.

If they aren't connected, you'll need to find the central point where all the coax cables come together.  Then, make sure the two runs are either directly connected or attached to a splitter.  Note the MoCA signal can go between any legs of a splitter; don't worry about the "in" and "out" labels.

Kappachuck
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much for this reply.  It answers my question and I am most appreciative.