Ethernet drops on CR1000A
hstein271

I used to have the Quantum Gateway Router connected to Google Wifi. The router never gave me any issues in four years, as far as I can remember. Recently the Google Wifi began having flaky connection speeds at the furthest AP so I decided to replace the whole network with a CR1000A and one G3200 extender last Thursday.

The past two nights, all the devices connected via Ethernet to the router, through switches, started losing connection. I only noticed this when I used my Logitech Harmony Elite remote to start watching Apple TV. The Lutron hub controlling my lights didn't respond to my Harmony remote. Then, the Apple TV said there was no Internet connection. PS5 on same switch as the Apple TV also had no connection. I swapped the cable from the switch next to the router onto a different port on the router, and all of a sudden all my ethernet devices were able to get a connection. I had hoped this was a one-off incident but tonight the  same thing happened. However, I didn't have to physically reconnect anything to get the disconnected devices to reconnect. To top it off, my Chamberlain garage door system, on the same switch as the Lutron, seemed to be working fine and the associated app could connect, all the while neither the Harmony remote nor Lutron app could connect to the Lutron hub.

Here's my exact setup:

CR1000A connects to ethernet switch, and directly connected to that are Lutron Hub, my work laptop (was working fine all work day past two days, no disconnects), an old LaCie NAS, Epson printer, Chamberlain garage hub. Another ethernet cable goes into this switch, which then connects to a secondary switch in the adjacent room with all my home entertainment equipment (PS5, Apple TV, etc.).

As far as I could tell, all the devices on that complete ethernet chain lost connection last night, whereas tonight only a subset of them did. 

Both nights my phone on wifi never seemed to lose connection at all during the problematic ethernet issues.

Is there any way that the Lutron device receiving its first request in nearly 24 hours could trigger all the ethernet-connected devices on the router to drop connection for no apparent reason? I've looked at basic, advanced, security and DHCP logs on the router and nothing stands out. A lot of DHCP requests happened when all the devices decided to reconnect. It's also annoying that there does not seem to be any way to keep the ethernet ports lit up on the back of the router. From what I remember, on both switches, all the connected ports had blinking green lights indicating connectivity even though the devices were no longer connected properly.

As an experiment, I moved the cable connecting to my secondary switch onto a separate port on the router, so it's no longer directly connected to the primary switch with the Lutron hub on it. If I get the chance during the day, I will have the Harmony hub run the "watch Apple TV" activity, which will try to turn off the lights from the Lutron hub. In the least I will try to go to the router's admin site to see if all the ethernet devices remain connected at points throughout the day. If they are all connected right before I use the harmony remote, and then they drop, then that would be a sure sign the Harmony and/or Lutron hubs might be to blame.

I am also having the known issue with delay on the G3200 extender with ethernet port connectivity, which already has a forum thread. I'm very happy with the speed of the new equipment but so far it's been more problematic with keeping ethernet devices working, so suffice to say, I am not happy. I haven't yet contacted Verizon support on this issue with the router, since I am dreading spending hours on the phone.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet drops on CR1000A
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turning off IPv6 would prevent the ease of multiplayer game console connection, of course, if you use consoles to play games.

IPv6 is long awaited by many customers because many dislike the NAT feature introduced to alleviate the IPv4 shortage.

View solution in original post

hstein271

Today's update might shed light on my issue. I monitored my router device list throughout the day. The AppleTV was connected and disconnected on and off, and the DHCP logs showed it renewing the address multiple times per hour. The Lutron Hub only tried to renew the address once or twice. It never showed as disconnected until I checked at around 7:45 tonight, so it probably disconnected sometime between 4pm and then as that was the previous time I checked the device list. The only thing I can think of is that it's set to turn on some lights a few hours before sundown, and maybe somehow that caused it to disconnect. At 7:45 I could see AppleTV active, so I turned it on via Harmony, and as expected the lights didn't turn on. This time even after a few minutes, the Lutron app couldn't even connect to its hub, so I unplugged the Lutron from the switch and disconnected the power. I then plugged it directly into the router and it's been working ever since. I even tested out the automatic lights turning on through the app, and it didn't disconnect. My PS5, MyQ garage door hub, Sonos and Pioneer receiver never seemed to lose connection via Ethernet at all today.

I looked again at the Lutron hub in the router's device list and it had both an IPv4 and IPv6 address, and I have read that the IPv6 rollout is causing all kinds of problems. So, I turned off IPv6 in my router, left the schedule to turn off the lights tomorrow night and we'll see what happens.

As for AppleTV, I switched it to use WiFi, which worked just fine streaming 4k HDR tonight. Hopefully that won't disconnect anymore.

My guess is that sometime between Tuesday and Wednesday night my router started using IPv6 and that caused my Lutron and AppleTV issues. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is weird.

I know two things.

First, VZ is rolling out IPv6 in VA, MD, DC, and MA. Are you based in one of these regions?

Second, IPv6 TCP Checksum Offload is not working in Intel NICs. Unless all of your Ethernet devices use Intel NICs, they should not have IPv6 connectivity problem.

hstein271

I am in MA. I see my Lutron hub is active now. Hopefully when it turns on the lights in a few hours it won't go offline. If it does I will call Lutron, as I remember they were very helpful getting me up and running when I had issues first setting it up years ago. Will post an update tonight.

I don't know what brand of network interface the Lutron hub uses, but at least now IPv6 is no longer a variable to be concerned about.

0 Likes
hstein271

Today, with IPv6 turned off, the Lutron turned off my lights as scheduled, and never disconnected from the router. When I went to turn on my entertainment system and watch Apple TV with the Harmony Remote, it turned off the lights as expected. Hopefully this is solved, and it's likely the Lutron Hub has issues with IPv6.

AppleTV over WiFi never disconnected during the day that I could see from the router device list.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turning off IPv6 would prevent the ease of multiplayer game console connection, of course, if you use consoles to play games.

IPv6 is long awaited by many customers because many dislike the NAT feature introduced to alleviate the IPv4 shortage.

hstein271

Thanks for the info. I hardly ever play games online, so if turning off IPv6 fixed my Lutron Hub, I'll live with it. I may reach out to Lutron to see if they know of any issues.

0 Likes
aaronwtfios1
Contributor - Level 1

I just use UPnP with my CR1000A units and IPv4.. My two Series X boxes and PS5 have no problem gaming. My Xboxes always get an open NAT. And my PS5 always gets a Type 2 NAT. The same as with any other router I've used using UPnP. 

0 Likes