Ethernet not working with FIOS Router
Robespierre
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have the usual FIOS setup with the G1100 router. In my house, I have two rooms connected via Ethernet. Over the past month or so, the Ethernet connections will stop working. We've replaced the router, tried rebooting, set everything back to defaults... and the problem keeps happening. The _wireless_ connection works just fine.

Here are the theories we've tried:
1. Firewall conflicts. I'd had Kaspersky's ethernet thing running, but I uninstalled it... and the problem kept happening.
2. Wiring. One of my Ethernet cables is Cat5, but it's always worked before, and was working fine for the last 24 hours. (I'll probably run Cat6 cable in the next month or so.)
2a. Bad wiring, part 2. One forum post suggested that bad wiring was causing a loop of some sort. I doubt this is the case: when the connection appears, it works just fine.
3. Bad router. As I'd said, we replaced it a few days ago. I don't think it's the router.

There _might_ be an issue with the game Fallout 76, which I've been playing for a month or so, and this may coincide with this recent raft of problems. But I'm at my wit's end here.

Does anyone have a **bleep**

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet not working with FIOS Router
Popx3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had the same problem.  I called Verizon, they tested my system, they found a problem and rebooted my system - problem solved all without talking to a human.  All automated.  

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

When a PC is connected can you ping the router?

Can you open a web browser and log in to router?

Feffy44
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you get this answered, please share it because I’m in the same boat as you.  I’ve replaced router, I shut off all my WiFi devices & just have 1 device plugged in via Ethernet.  What’s worst is I’m not even gaming, I’m Netflixing or at least trying to but my 1gb Internet can’t handle Netflix without buffering and cutting out every 5-10min.  Fios just keeps pushing the blame on everything else, I don’t know what to do anymore other than pay more for a reliable product/name.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you run FIOS Speedtest yet?

Both from router and your PC?

Go to speedtest.verizon.net

If you are not getting subscribed speed from either device, then contact support to check your service.

If router tests fine, but PC does not, check to make sure you have the most up to date drivers for ethernet.
Also try googling slow internet speeds for your PC.

Other threads have mentioned that settings ont he pc/ethernet connection can impact speed.

Enthusiast - Level 1

All of a sudden my hardwire ethernet stopped working - running on wifi for my desktop.  I rebooted by Verizon router - no lights on the hardwire ethernet connections on the back of the router.

Suggestions?

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try a different Ethernet cable wired directly between the router and the device.  This will rule in/out cable problems.

Popx3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had the same problem.  I called Verizon, they tested my system, they found a problem and rebooted my system - problem solved all without talking to a human.  All automated.  

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, this thread is a little old. So the moderator will probably lock this thread to keep the conversation recent.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes