Extender for G3100 router
FromCTtoNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got the services one month ago (200/200 Mbps). Due to having coax cable behind the walls and ONT with Fios G3100 router in the basement, I agreed to Fios G3200 extender (to extend signal to the second floor where my work machine is located) but then found that ActionTec WCB3000N works just fine. So, I returned G3200 back to Verizon with hope to save $10 per month.
ActionTec WBC3000N worked well for about 3 or so weeks (decent speed of 170/170Mbps). To my surprise, as soon as new billing period came, my WCB3000N stopped getting signal (right on the billing date). No matter what I did it never picked up signal through coax.  I called Verizon and they said they did not disable signal through coax from their ONT or G3100 router and faulted my own equipment. I truly want to believe in coincidence but something tells me Verizon is disabling my equipment in order for me to use their own.

Did anyone have any similar experience or what else I can do to test it?

It is not coaxial cable behind the walls; I tested WCB3000N extender right next to Verizon equipment in the basement, it did not pick up signal.

Verizon ONT MoCa light is off but was on when everything worked.

Verizon technical support tested the line, checked if ONT provides signal through coax and said I need to check my own ActionTec, which I am going to do anyway.

Any input from community is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Extender for G3100 router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FromCTtoNJ wrote:

if you are telling me that ONT has nothing to do with signal through coaxial and it is done by G3100, why would someone connect coax cable from ONT to two way splitter, then one end goes to G3100 router and another to the wall?

Thank you.

The coax coming from the ont only outputs MoCA WAN at 1000 MHz. And nothing at all if you are connected via ethernet for WAN. The G3100/E3200 create a MoCA LAN network between each other. All MoCA devices on the network have to be connected to a splitter. So for example, if you disconnected the ont coax feed from the splitter the MoCA devices with still be communicating over the MoCA LAN.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The older Verizon extenders connect by MoCA to the router's LAN, not the ONT WAN.   The ONT's MoCA light is off because the WAN connection between the ONT and the G3100 router is on Ethernet.  The ONT has nothing to do with this. 

The only extender the G3100 officially supports is the E3200.  The E3200 does have wireless backhaul, so it can be used without a coax connection to the LAN.

The WCB3000N is an old extender.  Again, not officially supported by the G3100, so you're lucky it worked at all.  It does require a coax connection.  Your post isn't clear if it's connected to coax or not.  If not, make sure it's connected to coax and that coax port is connected to the same coax network as the router.

Verizon doesn't do anything to control or enable LAN features.  It's very likely something else changed on or about the billing date and this is just a coincidence.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't believe Verizon ever disables your equipment to force you to upgrade.

Can you may be buy another WCB3000N off Ebay for $20 and try it out, so we can eliminate one variable here?

@FromCTtoNJ wrote:

Verizon ONT MoCa light is off but was on when everything worked.

Wait a second, did you ask Verizon to switch from MoCA WAN to Ethernet WAN on the ONT? The ONT connects to the router either through MoCA WAN or the Ethernet. When it uses MoCA WAN, the MoCA on the ONT lights up. Otherwise, it is unlit. What you described here suggests the ONT's connection with the router was switched from MoCA WAN to Ethernet.

One possibility is that Verizon accidentally disabled your MoCA LAN. You should go into the G3100's GUI and double check the LAN Coax Status. If it is indeed disabled, click "Enable," it should resume the connection to WCB3000N right on.

FromCTtoNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your explanation,

My apologies for not being more specific.

The initial setup in the basement was this:

1. Ethernet cable from ONT to G3100

2. Coax cable from ONT to two-way coax splitter.

3. One coax cable from two way splitter goes to G3100

4. Second coaxial cable from two way splitter went into the wall to the second floor

5. On the second floor, Verizon technician connected E3200 extender so I could connect it to my desktop.

The reason for this was I don’t have ethernet support behind my walls, only coaxial. Everything worked fine for two days until I received new WBC3000N extender (it was $19). I did some reading online and found that it works with G3100 through moca 1.1. As soon as I connected it in place of Verizon E3200 extender, it picked up signal right away and continued to work exactly until next billing cycle for 25 days (Verizon does not prorate for returned equipment so I paid rental for the whole month even though I returned E3200 four days after I got it). That is why it is weird signal through coaxial went down exactly on billing date. Over the phone with support I was told nothing was changed on their side.

I ordered new WBC3000N to see if it was mere coincidence.

I don’t know why the initial setup was done the way as I described above.

if you are telling me that ONT has nothing to do with signal through coaxial and it is done by G3100, why would someone connect coax cable from ONT to two way splitter, then one end goes to G3100 router and another to the wall?

Thank you.

0 Likes
FromCTtoNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will also login to G3100 and see if moca is disabled. 
Thank you kindly.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FromCTtoNJ wrote:

Thank you.

The coax coming from the ont only outputs MoCA WAN at 1000 MHz. And nothing at all if you are connected via ethernet for WAN. The G3100/E3200 create a MoCA LAN network between each other. All MoCA devices on the network have to be connected to a splitter. So for example, if you disconnected the ont coax feed from the splitter the MoCA devices with still be communicating over the MoCA LAN.

FromCTtoNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is good to know.

Thank you

now, my search will be limited to only G3100 and WBC3000N. While waiting for WBC box replacement, I will login to Fios router and see if coax output is not disabled for some reason.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to eliminate some variables, when you received the new WCB3000N, connect it directly to the G3100 with a short coax cable. See if it is connecting.

FromCTtoNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you all for your help.

new unit came in and it is all back to normal. Really upset that it went down in 25 or so days but new one is working and was replaced under 30 days return policy.

thank you

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thank you for the feedback. So your setup shows WCB3000N (FiOS Network Extender Gen 1) works with G3100 via MoCA 1.1