Extending WiFi range using a spare Fios Router
Yogi2008

Hi - 

There were some very good thread about this subject but I am still largely unsuccessful. I have Fios 50/50 internet and my ONT is provisioned over ethernet meaning it connects with Actiontec MI424WR Rev I router over Cat5 ethernet. My primary router is in basement and I have coax all thorughout the house.

Following thread provided detailed step by step method to configure the secondary router to extend the coverage by getting an ethernet connection in a room that has only a coax connection. However the issue I am facing is after following each step one by one exactly in the manner specified when I turn both routers on, BOTH of them get the AMBER light in the Internet indicator and not only the internet on Secondary router doesn't work but it stops working on the Primary router as well with same AMBER Internet indicator. Any help or direction to resolve this will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Extending WiFi range using a spare Fios Router
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

One thing you didn't mention is if you already had other devices (STBs, TiVo etc.) connected by coax before. Just curious if we know that the coax is viable.

One thing I thought to try is on both the primary and secondary router, login to the router, go into My Network (top menu) -> Network Connections (left menu) -> Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) (link in lower-right pane) -> Settings (button) and click Disable on the Enable/Disable Coax Link: line. This will require rebooting both routers. This disables using the coax for broadband service, but should not disable the coax for LAN service(s).

I know in theory, this should not make any difference when you are provisioned by Ethernet from the ONT, but I just want to rule out that the primary router is trying to get broadband over the coax (from the second router) and vice versa when they see each other's WAN channel on the coax go live.

[I should mention that I don't actually use the MI424WR myself. That said, I'll have you know I not only got my MI424WR Rev I out of the box in the closet, but I actually powered it up! I am also provisioned via Ethernet, but I use a Linux-based router and a Linksys WRT1900ACS as a wireless access point. The documentation I found online seems outdated. Even what was there was inconsistent as far as being a good example. So I decided I needed to take a look at the real thing. The firmware in my MI424WR Rev I is 40.21.18.]

View solution in original post

Re: Extending WiFi range using a spare Fios Router
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

One thing you didn't mention is if you already had other devices (STBs, TiVo etc.) connected by coax before. Just curious if we know that the coax is viable.

One thing I thought to try is on both the primary and secondary router, login to the router, go into My Network (top menu) -> Network Connections (left menu) -> Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) (link in lower-right pane) -> Settings (button) and click Disable on the Enable/Disable Coax Link: line. This will require rebooting both routers. This disables using the coax for broadband service, but should not disable the coax for LAN service(s).

I know in theory, this should not make any difference when you are provisioned by Ethernet from the ONT, but I just want to rule out that the primary router is trying to get broadband over the coax (from the second router) and vice versa when they see each other's WAN channel on the coax go live.

[I should mention that I don't actually use the MI424WR myself. That said, I'll have you know I not only got my MI424WR Rev I out of the box in the closet, but I actually powered it up! I am also provisioned via Ethernet, but I use a Linux-based router and a Linksys WRT1900ACS as a wireless access point. The documentation I found online seems outdated. Even what was there was inconsistent as far as being a good example. So I decided I needed to take a look at the real thing. The firmware in my MI424WR Rev I is 40.21.18.]