FIOS + Airport Express
samstel

I recently got Fios and am using the Verizon provided router for my wifi. I have a home office that is far from the router and need to extend the signal in order to have wifi in the office.  I have an Apple airport express that is connected via ethernet to the router. I have been trying for a few hours to get the express connected to extend the wireless network. I keep recieving the same error message - "wireless network cannot be founded." I can join the network but cannot extend it. Please help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS + Airport Express
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello! 

What is the signal strength like at the location of the express router? A common mis-conception is that wifi boosters / routers have some magical power to be more powerful than your average phone or laptop. If the signal is too poor at the location of the airport express router, then most likely its having trouble connecting. 

By chance, is your house wired with coax cable? If so, I'd strongly reccomend using this device: https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/

It would utilize the coax thats already wired in your home to repeat the internet signal. 

If the problem is not with signal regarding the express router, then perhaps Apple could be of assistance as it would then be an issue with the airport router. I wish I could personally help more, but I can't say I've ever dealt with setting up an express router as a wifi repeater. 

View solution in original post

Re: FIOS + Airport Express
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello! 

What is the signal strength like at the location of the express router? A common mis-conception is that wifi boosters / routers have some magical power to be more powerful than your average phone or laptop. If the signal is too poor at the location of the airport express router, then most likely its having trouble connecting. 

By chance, is your house wired with coax cable? If so, I'd strongly reccomend using this device: https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/

It would utilize the coax thats already wired in your home to repeat the internet signal. 

If the problem is not with signal regarding the express router, then perhaps Apple could be of assistance as it would then be an issue with the airport router. I wish I could personally help more, but I can't say I've ever dealt with setting up an express router as a wifi repeater.