FIOS G-1100 and Moca adapter (not seeing wifi devices)
jeffh11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a G-1100 and the Extender.   The Extender used to be in my home office in the basement where my workstation would connect via the ether port on the back of the Extender.   I bought the newer wifi6 router and extender but just recently returned them because the newer Extender had issues with things like youtube videos spinning and dropbox not syncing.    So I went back to my old set up with the G-1100 router.   I bought an Actiontec Moca 2.5 adapter to replace the Extender, which I moved upstairs into the living room.   The Moca adapter is actually faster than the extender so my workstation in the basement is enjoying that.   

The problem I am running into is the workstation connected to my network with the Moca adapter cannot see the wifi devices on the network, nor can they see it.   This is problematic because I can't print from that workstation to my wifi printer.  I also can't get into my shared drives from a laptop on my wifi.    To complicate things, my Moca workstation can see other devices on the network which are connected via ethernet, like my media server PC.    Is there some sort of setting on my G-1100 I need to tweak as it feels like my wifi enabled devices and laptops are on a different subnet or network location than the Moca workstation.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS G-1100 and Moca adapter (not seeing wifi devices)
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. G1100 also works with G3100. You can use G1100 as an extender too.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you go to [router IP]/#/network/connections after logging in? Please take a screenshot and upload it to here. I suspect your WiFi interface is not bridged into the LAN.

jeffh11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Screenshot-2021-08-02-034503

0 Likes
jeffh11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Screenshot-2021-08-02-034538

0 Likes
jeffh11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got lost in the menus.  I remember seeing something before about the bridge.  I am wondering why Access Point 1 (5GHZ ) is disconnected unless because both 2.4 and 5ghz are merged?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The bridging setting looks good. Did you manually set your computer's IP address?

Can you go to your computer and type in ipconfig on Windows, or ifconfig on Mac and Linux? Can you screenshot the result and redact the Physical/MAC addresses before uploading it to here?

jeffh11
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

I think I figured out the problem but unsure of the solution.    it's the FIOS Extender.  If I unplug the Extender, eventually I can see the workstation downstairs on my wifi devices and vice versa.   As soon as I plug the Extender back in, the workstation things don't see each other again.

Does the G-1100 only allow for a single moca adapter on the network (currently I have two. the extender and the Actiontec adapter)?  Is there any settings on the Extender or Router to fiddle with?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G1100 allows 15 other MoCA nodes to be present on the same coax network.

Fios Network Extender Gen 2 has problems working with MoCA 2.5 devices. G1100 will do just fine. FNE2 is deprecated in new setups and should be phased out if you want to use MoCA 2.5 devices on the same network. If FNE2 is causing the issue, the computer connected to the MoCA 2.5 adapter should not have a coax link at all. Can you even ping the G1100 when connected on MoCA 2.5?

jeffh11
Enthusiast - Level 2

yeah I'm able to ping it.   

So what's my best course of action?  I'd still like to have a wifi extender upstairs to help with the signal.   As a bonus, having the ethernet on the back of the extender was helpful in the living room with an apple tv w/plex and a gaming system.  Should I get the newer FIOS router/extender again, or for the time being, return the MOCA 2.5 adapter and get a MOCA 2.0 adapter?    

I got the moca 2.5 adapter after sending back the newer router (g3100) and extender (E3200).  When the  workstation was connected to the new extender and I would have issues like spinning videos in Youtube with auto quality set to the lowest setting by default, and dropbox taking overnight to sync a 1mb file.   The overall speed was great but small quality issues where problematic.  I messed with the QOS settings and never could figure it out so I returned it and opted for the moca 2.5 adapter in the basement, moving the old extender upstairs to help with wifi coverage.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would definitely not recommend another WCB6200Q. As I mentioned before, WCB6200Q should not be used in newer installations and should be phased out whenever possible.

Since you have G1100 as the MoCA adapter on the other side, you are capped to 500Mbps on MoCA, so is 500Mbps throughput enough for you? If so, you can return the ECB6250 and get another G1100 for cheap on Ebay. If you want future proof, I suggest you to buy a G3100 and return the ECB6250. You can use a G1100 as an extender too.

I have both the G1100 and G3100 as "extenders." My primary router is a Cisco router. It is more like a lab environment here than a home.